WhatsApp Starts Letting Users Delete Messages After They've Been Sent

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WhatsApp is currently rolling out the ability to delete and revoke messages after they've been sent. The function has been in testing as a hidden feature in several earlier versions of the mobile chat app, but is officially going live this week.

Going forward, WhatsApp users will be able delete messages from conversations and group chats up to seven minutes after they've tapped the send button, as long as both sender and receiver have updated to the latest version of the app.

The new option, called "Delete for everyone" will appear in addition to "Delete for me", and is already showing up for some users when they select a message to trash.

In a published support article, WhatsApp notes that recipients "may see your messages before it's deleted or if deletion was not successful", so the feature isn't guaranteed to work all the time. It's also possible that some users may still see the messages in notifications before they're deleted.

Users aren't notified if a delete request fails, but messages that have been successfully deleted for everyone will be replaced with "This message was deleted" in recipients' chat threads.

According to WABetaInfo, WhatsApp is currently testing group voice calls internally, so it's likely this feature will also turn up in a forthcoming update.

WhatsApp is a free download for iPhone from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Starts Letting Users Delete Messages After They've Been Sent

2. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Perfect, can't wait to try this next time I go out drinking

3. huffhuff macrumors member

Somebody give me an example of when this would be useful...?!?

4. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

5 minutes after you've sent a picture of your womanly parts and are wondering if it was such a crash hot idea.

5. Stiksi macrumors regular

Stiksi

Clearly what we need is a tool for cyberbullies to wipe their trail after they've sent offending messages.

6. ACST Suspended

Like I did just now?

7. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Or other nefarious purposes.

8. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Flaws in the feature, and it should not work like that..

The whole point of deleting is that the other person shouldn't know we deleted... so if it's states "message has been deleted" that's wrong... also, we should not be allowed to delete if the other person has seen the message, it'll create a lot of problems going further between the 2, because the other person will say," it's my chat records, who are you to delete the messages without my permission, even if it's your own"

Whatsapp should also notify, that delete request was failed.

I can agree with the notification issue, because that's system wide. That would be Apples job, to change the system of revoking notifications, and figuring out how the phone and the app know whether the notification has been seen or not... may be Face ID would help in that case...

9. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Used this feature in Telegram for a while when communicating via audio with my handicap friend and they accidentally hit send after starting a message and were not finished. They just delete the audio and try again whether or not I've listened to it. Not aware of any time limit through.

10. 576316 macrumors 601

11. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

Not the right thread, but seriously guys reviews on X are out on YouTube! :D

12. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

5 minutes later you're already in the camera roll I'm afraid...

I mean, it's a chance still so fair enough.

^ALL of this. Very good proposals.

Glassed Silver:mac

13. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Dumb enough to be the most popular Instant message app.

14. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Whatsapp staff: “ok which Telegram features we can copy next?”

15. Sausage.Biscuit macrumors newbie

Yeah no joke. Most of my friends gave up Whatsapp/Kik for Telegram a long time ago.

16. 576316 macrumors 601

Yeah, but it's not popular because of its name. It's popular because of its service. The name is dumb.

17. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Nice now I can think twice before messaging my ex

18. vooke macrumors 6502

vooke

What’s the big deal, Telegram has been at it for like forever, including editing messages

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

A $22,000,000,000 "dumb" name indeed.

20. 576316 macrumors 601

That's not evidence as to why the name isn't dumb. The name is still dumb. It's just a very, very well known household-name...name. The fact the app was ever called that is dumb, but now they're stuck with it.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The point is that it worked on many levels as far as being popular and being successful on all fronts essentially as far as it goes for a mobile app. So while it might be a dumb name in the opinion of some (given that that's subjective) the success pretty much outweighs it so much that not only does it not matter but it's actually a very positive thing as far as the app goes. We never know what might have been if the app was called something else.

22. dampfnudel macrumors 68040

Terrorists/criminals communicating with each other.