Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Guys, i want to restore my daughter's XR from new device and not from an iCloud back up.
The only app i need to backup is whatsapp, but from the app it's nearly impossibile to do it. There'a a lot of space in the phone, a lot of space on iCloud but the process got stuck in the "preparing backup" step.

No way.

Following some tutorial i tried to launch the WA backup after cancelling the icloud backup with no success.

I'm thinking about purchasing mobile trans software, even if that kind of stuff don't give me any confidence at all.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Hi Guys, i want to restore my daughter's XR from new device and not from an iCloud back up.
The only app i need to backup is whatsapp, but from the app it's nearly impossibile to do it. There'a a lot of space in the phone, a lot of space on iCloud but the process got stuck in the "preparing backup" step.

I've had the same problem since my last WhatsApp backup on Saturday. A search brings up some workarounds, which haven't worked for me.

ie: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/12/22/whatsapp-backup-not-working-or-stuck-on-preparing-after-ios-16-2/

This didn't work for me either. YMMV.

Some have commented that the problem appeared with iOS 16.2.

I guess it's a bug in the latest WhatsApp.app, iOS, or iCloud. I'll just wait for it get fixed.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
I've had the same problem since my last WhatsApp backup on Saturday. A search brings up some workarounds, which haven't worked for me.

ie: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/12/22/whatsapp-backup-not-working-or-stuck-on-preparing-after-ios-16-2/

This didn't work for me either. YMMV.

Some have commented that the problem appeared with iOS 16.2.

I guess it's a bug in the latest WhatsApp.app, iOS, or iCloud. I'll just wait for it get fixed.
As a last resort I tried deleting the WhatsApp backup on iCloud.

Big mistake, I don't recommend doing it.

I now have no iCloud WhatsApp backup and the app is still stuck on "preparing"!

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
My GF and I had the same issue. I experienced it before 16.2 so I'm not sure it's the cause.
What worked in our case:

Go to Settings/Chats/Chat backup and try a backup...will be stuck on preparing...force close WhatsApp
Open WhatsApp > Settings/Chats/Chat backup and try a backup > toggle Include videos....force close WhatsApp
Go to Settings/Chats/Chat backup and try a backup...will be stuck on preparing...force close WhatsApp
Open WhatsApp > Settings/Chats/Chat backup and try a backup > toggle Include videos....force close WhatsApp

If you get lucky it will work on the 4th try, that happened to me. My GF required a couple more repeats of the above sequence.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
My GF and I had the same issue. I experienced it before 16.2 so I'm not sure it's the cause.
What worked in our case:

If you get lucky it will work on the 4th try, that happened to me. My GF required a couple more repeats of the above sequence.
Thanks for that.

I'm in a chat wit Apple Support right now... maybe I'll try later...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Is your Wi-Fi connection too slow? Backup problems with that app are typically due to a slow network. It’s happened to me many times, I’d keep trying, it’ll work eventually. If it is slow, try a faster network if you can.

Last edited:

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Is your Wi-Fi connection too slow? Backup problems with that app are typically due to a slow network. It’a happened to me many times, I’d keep trying, it’ll work eventually. If it is slow, try a faster network if you can.

Definitely not my case. I got a strong connection 300/100Mbps steady.

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
What worked in our case:

Sounds really weird but I’ll try it ☺️

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
It has been reported since before 16.2
What worked in our case:

I've been trying more than half a dozen times, and no luck so far.

The only difference is with videos toggled on it does show how much data is to be uploaded, but it's been stuck for too long "preparing"...

IMG_1181.PNG

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
It has been reported since before 16.2

I've been trying more than half a dozen times, and no luck so far.

The only difference is with videos toggled on it does show how much data is to be uploaded, but it's been stuck for too long "preparing"...

View attachment 2137032
Each time (after forcing close the app):
Toggle Include Videos and try a manual backup, if not succeed (it only takes a few seconds to get out of "preparing..."),
force close again, open, toggle Include Videos and try again.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...

Jutah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Did you try it?

Did it work for you? 🤔

Not yet, I’ll try in few days, it’s not my phone.

Anyway, the problem is definitely not related to 16.2. I tried the same months ago and still freezing on that state.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I've tried maybe a dozen times, and waited 30 minutes each time. Still stuck on "Preparing"...
You don’t need to wait that much on each try.
After starting a manual backup, you should wait a few seconds….if it’s still on preparing, just force close the app and try again after toggling Include Videos

Porthole0676

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2023
You don’t need to wait that much on each try.
After starting a manual backup, you should wait a few seconds….if it’s still on preparing, just force close the app and try again after toggling Include Videos
I have found that you don't need to toggle include videos but just kill the app and try again multiple times until it works. At least in my case anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: diego.caraballo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.