Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
No, If your friend has a gmail account they can go to his account and read HIS emails including the the ONE from you. If YOU choose to use Gmail, they will be able to read ALL YOUR email history with EVERYONE. You see the difference?
Again, you have to rely on others. I know the difference, but let’s face it, Gmail and “free” will always have more users and more popular.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I still don't understand why this thing needs a phone number to register with. What's wrong with a disposable, non-identifying email?

Oh, I've answered my own question...

I guess the Phone number requirement is the only thing that blocks the release of WhatsApp for iPad/Pod. Apparently the desire for a global phone book is more important than expanding to tablets.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I still don't understand why this thing needs a phone number to register with. What's wrong with a disposable, non-identifying email?

Oh, I've answered my own question...

I guess the Phone number requirement is the only thing that blocks the release of WhatsApp for iPad/Pod. Apparently the desire for a global phone book is more important than expanding to tablets.
Signal has an iPad app and so does Telegram, so this can be done. Still need a phone number, but it’s nice I can answer from any device I want too.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Again, you have to rely on others. I know the difference, but let’s face it, Gmail and “free” will always have more users and more popular.

you are taking the approach of "either all of it or none of it". On this logic, people should not lock their doors because the thieves can still break the window and come in. It is best practice to do as much as you can.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
you are taking the approach of "either all of it or none of it". On this logic, people should not lock their doors because the thieves can still break the window and come in. It is best practice to do as much as you can.
Exactly. And why privacy is a myth

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.