WhatsApp to Pull Support for Older iPhones From Next Year

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

I know apps for iOS 6 still get updates (Telegram was already mentioned in this thread). I don't see why they wouldn't allow new apps to work on iOS 6.

2. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

I'm surprised they were supporting iOS 6 all this time. Bravo. I'm still using an unsupported and very early version of FB Messenger that has less clutter than the current one, and it still works fine except for the lack of certain nonessential features.

3. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Dear lord! Man I really feel your pain here. 9700?! Does the keys still have print on them, buttons and trackpad still work after all these years?! Te batteey probably still charges (tongue in cheek joke about Apples battery and iOS throttling issue).

I still have a 9780 in the closet hat I bought a LONG time ago as a momento.

After all these years I still cannot collapse folders, send read receipts, or mark an email as Urgent from iOS. Goes to show the difference in use by corporate structures of Apple vs everyone else.

Somebody really should do an investigative interview with managers top brass and employees of Apple how they manage and work with emails.

4. fairuz, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Email is the biggest mess ever created on the Internet, from the standard protocols behind it to the industry adoption and end-user interface. There's a lot of horrible stuff all around. It really shouldn't be the case that most people resort to HTML-based mail on something like Gmail, with all the standards like IMAP disabled and all internal messages going through their own proprietary protocols, but that's what happens.

Email was decent on iOS until Apple randomly removed the email account syncing with Mac OS X. Why??? Well that alone killed the experience cause I have to manually set up like 10 accounts every time I wipe my phone.

5. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Rather sad, but mainly because IIRC that was the last nice looking OS.
    It could be worse; keep iOS7 alive in the vain hope that it may one day be possible to revert or somehow install...

6. mfvisuals macrumors regular

mfvisuals

If you're talking about set up of the email accounts themselves, that should still be an automatic thing as long you have iCloud Drive enabled on both devices and the Mail option enabled for iCloud Drive on both devices.

Alternatively, if you backup your device via iCloud or iTunes, that backup will retain a listing of the accounts you had set up on the device and those will be a restored when you restore a backup of your device to that device or another device again.

You may have to re-enter the passwords for the accounts after restoring from a backup, but even that can be avoided by enabling the iCloud Keychain feature will save email passwords to your iCloud account as well for retrieval.

7. fairuz, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

Dunno about iCloud Drive (this was a problem before it even existed). I know about the backups, but I've wiped my phone without restoring from backup a few times just cause it starts getting really slow otherwise. Or I have a mysterious 7GiB of "other" used space I want to ditch.

8. CGrant89 macrumors newbie

CGrant89

I’m guessing only the iPhone 8 and iPhone X WhatsApp will work. Its not connecting on my iPhone 7 (both ios and whatsapp are updated to the latest version). Same goes for my sisters iPhone 7.