Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

WhatsApp has released a major update to its iPhone app that brings unlimited custom wallpapers to individuals chats for the first time.

whatsapp-wallpapers-1.jpg

The new ability to set custom wallpapers for different chats is an effort to make it easier for users to distinguish and identify them in the blink of an eye. WhatsApp says there's no limit on the number of custom wallpapers users can assign to different chats.
"Your WhatsApp chats hold a special place in your life, which is why we're introducing custom chat wallpapers. Make your chats personal and distinguishable by using a custom wallpaper for your most important chats and favorite people, and you never need worry about sending the wrong message in the wrong chat ever again."
WhatsApp is also rolling out the current default "doodle" wallpaper in more colors, and significantly increasing the selection of wallpapers with more images of nature and architecture from around the world.

Notably, users can now also set a separate wallpaper which activates when their phone switches from light to dark mode.

In addition to the new wallpaper options, WhatsApp says it is making it easier to quickly search and find stickers with text or emoji and browse through common categories. The update includes new sticker packs, too, including The World Health Organization's "Together at Home" animated stickers.

WhatsApp Messenger is a free download for iPhone from the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: WhatsApp Update Adds Custom Wallpapers for Individual Chats, Sticker Search, and More

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
How to use the sticker search I see nothing about it.

And yes bring it to the iPad already. It’s only 10 years overdue.

Not to mention AW.

Reactions: ppetrovic

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Hilarious that WhatsApp desktop still requires 'tethering' to WhatsApp on a phone in order to work. Proof that having the best tech doesn't make you the dominant player.

Reactions: mazz0 and KeithBN

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I try to avoid using WhatsApp wherever possible (facebook, plus it just feels uncomfortable on iOS), but knowing the chat wallpaper has been a feature for years I’m completely surprised it’s only now being implemented in the way I’d presumed it was all along – i.e. to be useful to tell conversations apart!

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
So... Recently a woman in NJ was arrested for helping aid some possible bad people purchase weapons. The media posted pictures of her conversation. She was using WhatsAPP. WhatAPP states they use encryption that they don't even have the keys for such as iMessage. How did she get caught? Not saying what she did was right.. BUT.. The conversation was encrypted....

Reactions: DocStone

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Telegram is Russia-backed... no thanks. It’s also not happening tbf. Whatsapp has reached critical mass long time ago.
Wrong.

The CEO is Russian but is a strong privacy advocate and has fought many battles with the Russian authorities.

The Russian Government even banned Telegram for over 2 years in the country until June of this year.

Telegram is vastly superior to Whatsapp, but Whatsapp is the 'standard' unfortunately.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
So... Recently a woman in NJ was arrested for helping aid some possible bad people purchase weapons. The media posted pictures of her conversation. She was using WhatsAPP. WhatAPP states they use encryption that they don't even have the keys for such as iMessage. How did she get caught? Not saying what she did was right.. BUT.. The conversation was encrypted....

Facebook will make all your conversations on it's platforms available if any government makes a formal request.

It's not secure.

Reactions: MrDerby01

MrDerby01

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
Facebook will make all your conversations on it's platforms available if any government makes a formal request.

It's not secure.
Do you think Apple really could do the same? I was told to never allow your iMessages to backup to iCloud.

illyb2000

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2012

WhatsApp has released a major update to its iPhone app that brings unlimited custom wallpapers to individuals chats for the first time.

whatsapp-wallpapers-1.jpg

The new ability to set custom wallpapers for different chats is an effort to make it easier for users to distinguish and identify them in the blink of an eye. WhatsApp says there's no limit on the number of custom wallpapers users can assign to different chats.
WhatsApp is also rolling out the current default "doodle" wallpaper in more colors, and significantly increasing the selection of wallpapers with more images of nature and architecture from around the world.

Notably, users can now also set a separate wallpaper which activates when their phone switches from light to dark mode.

In addition to the new wallpaper options, WhatsApp says it is making it easier to quickly search and find stickers with text or emoji and browse through common categories. The update includes new sticker packs, too, including The World Health Organization's "Together at Home" animated stickers.

WhatsApp Messenger is a free download for iPhone from the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: WhatsApp Update Adds Custom Wallpapers for Individual Chats, Sticker Search, and More
I can’t set separate wallpapers with WhatsApp on my iPhone 11. iOS 14.3. Am I missing something ?

Attachments

• FB8EE1F2-069B-49C9-A58B-14F1D51D7803.jpeg
    FB8EE1F2-069B-49C9-A58B-14F1D51D7803.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 46
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.