Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

whatsapp.png
WhatsApp users on iOS can now ask Siri to read to them their latest messages when they go handsfree, following the latest update to the chat app.

Version 2.17.2 brings the feature to users running at least iOS 10.3 on their devices, along with some other tweaks and updates to the messaging platform.

In the My Updates screen, it's now possible to select multiple statuses at once and forward or revoke them, and the old Voice Call icon has been replaced with a "+" icon, which when tapped displays a list of contacts for making both voice and video calls.

Elsewhere, the two-step verification interface has been redesigned to make it easier to set up, while the Group Info, Contact Info, and Calls sections have also received interface overhauls to make them simpler to use. The camera now also remembers its last state of usage.

Lastly, support for the Persian language has been added to the chat service.

WhatsApp is available as a free download on the App Store for iPhone. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Users Can Now Ask Siri to Read Out Their Latest Messages

Reactions: Sunny1990

icallmydmicrosoft

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2017
ok, so siris answer to the average macrumors user will sound like this:

"Michael wrote: Our weekly Bashing-Apple-Gettogether will take place on Sunday in my parents house, which I still reside in despite being 34 years old"

sorry for this exaggeration :D

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
tried it but not working...does it need to be looked at in settings?

EDIT never mind it works now
[doublepost=1492770505][/doublepost]
Now all they need to do is add Siri support to send messages so I can use it in my car :)
you can

just tried it and it asks you who you want to send it to

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors 604
Jun 21, 2013
Now all they need to do is add Siri support to send messages so I can use it in my car :)
That has actually worked for awhile now. Use it to send messages to a relative oveseas while I'm driving to work in the morning. Syntax is: "Tell Jane Doe via WhatsApp How are you?" or, like @The Game 161 mentioned, just say "Send message via WhatsApp" and it will guide you through completing the message

codemonkey85

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015

I've noticed you can't use third-party apps via SiriKit through your car's Bluetooth stereo. Siri says "I'm afraid I can't do that while you're in the car". That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, if you can still use 'hey, Siri' or EarPods / AirPods to do these commands.

I'm hoping Apple fixes this shortcoming soon.

gwhizkids

macrumors 604
Jun 21, 2013
I've noticed you can't use third-party apps via SiriKit through your car's Bluetooth stereo. Siri says "I'm afraid I can't do that while you're in the car". That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though, if you can still use 'hey, Siri' or EarPods / AirPods to do these commands.

I'm hoping Apple fixes this shortcoming soon.
I can send WhatsApp messages via CarPlay. I can also initiate WhatsApp voice calls that way. Just did it 30 minutes ago. I was not able, though, to have it read my WhatsApp messages that way.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
"Hey Siri, read my last WhatsApp message"

"You need to unlock your iPhone first"

UTTERLY POINTLESS. :mad:

At first Siri was a piece of technical wonder, now it is just plain embarrassing :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.