WhatsApp with iOS 11 Design

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by LordQ, Sep 28, 2017.

1. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

So, with the new design language for iOS 11 and iPhone X, I'm wondering if you developers are going to adopt the big headers, navigation bars, bold and rounded icons and whatnot. Here's how I imagine WhatsApp might look like.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

I think this bold font heading thing is hideous, and I sincerely hope Whatsapp - the app I use the most for messaging - doesn't adopt this!

3. JohnnyW2K1 Suspended

JohnnyW2K1

You’re not allowed to say that here. Everything Apple makes is perfect and without fault!

4. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Just because someone likes it does not mean they’re praising everything Apple does. You know, someone IS allowed to like a specific design. The same way someone is allowed to not like it. No side is right or wrong, because everyone has different tastes. There is no “I don’t like it, therefore it’s universally bad and no one can like it either!”

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You'd have to remove the contact pics as well, forcing you to read the contact names rather than just visually pick them from the contact avatar. I. Hate. That. Change.

6. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

Did you turn off "Show Contact Photos" in Settings > Messages?

7. simonsi, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope - that just gets you the contact photo in each conversation, not in the list of conversations :-(

Edited: Thanks! That prompted me to look - I had the Accessibility Larger Text Sizes set to ON. - that removes the contact photos....didn't before 11.0 -

Silly change in that context as the photos are much easier to distinguish between than text Lol

8. JohnnyW2K1 Suspended

JohnnyW2K1

That’s how it SHOULD be, but that’s not how it is in here.

9. LordQ thread starter Suspended

LordQ

Personally I like the big headers and big bold fonts, gives room to the UI to "breathe".

10. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I'm in the same boat. Although I'm not a huge fan of it on my SE (everything feels squished). But I like it on my 7. I wouldn't mind if WhatsApp adopted the bold font.

11. GC251114 macrumors 6502

To be honest I wouldn’t worry too much about WhatsApp UI changing for the iPhone X. Well don’t worry about it for at least 12 months , maybe to coincide with the new Plus model late 2018 early 2019.

WhatsApp are religiously late to the update party. They didn’t update their UI to be compatible with iPhone 6 Plus models until 6-8 months after the phone was released.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I like it too, I think it makes the OS nice and uniform and it gives it a fresh modern look. It seems like most people dont like it, but I do so I definitely wouldn't mind if 3rd party developers started implementing it as well.

13. predation macrumors 65816

Oh what..... glad I'm still on 10.3.3

14. LordQ thread starter Suspended

LordQ

For anyone who cares, WhatsApp just told me that they will support Smart Invert Colours at a later update. Hope they incorporate iOS 11 design too :D

15. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

Well whatsapp HAVE updated and it looks like the mock-up in the first post!

16. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

They just now to release an Apple Watch App now.

17. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I prefer they finally make a damn iPad app instead.

18. Renegade72 Suspended

Renegade72

I guess we just have to wait and see
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2017 ---
    Really? WhatsApp ?

19. TimFL1 macrumors 6502

Forget iPad or Watch apps, where the heck are the iOS 10 interactive notifications at. They had them in an internal beta build back in february (e.g. notifications similar to the messages app ones, showing a live conversation).

20. dadiduekappa macrumors regular

dadiduekappa

Just yesterday @WaBetaInfo on Twitter said:
    "Rich notifications support for iOS is coming soon with other updates."

21. Renegade72 Suspended

Renegade72

There is no Apple watch app for WhatsApp. I just checked.

22. Neo1975 macrumors 6502

You can get an iPad WhatsApp App, it’s not great but it works ok.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    I know, that’s why they should make one. You can reply to a message the same as normal text or iMessage but you can’t compose a new message.

23. Peruvian macrumors regular

Peruvian

Anyone having notification problems in a group chat? What I mean is im seeing multiple messages only appearing within a chat group when opening the app. hope that makes sense...

24. devinthomas macrumors regular

One of my favorite apps Copied adopted iOS 11 design language. I’m a fan of consistency so I hope it’s a continuing trend.

25. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

YAAY! Finally, really took them a long time, jeez. Hope they'll indeed release an update very soon with support for interactive notifications. I find it annoying having to actually open a message to view photos sent to me. Would be great to finally be able to do so right from within a notification.

--

The iOS 11 update for WhatsApp looks like it was done in literally a second. I mean, not that it bothers me that much, but I did notice that when you slide down for the search bar, go into a chat, go back, the search bar starts disappearing the more you do the same thing. After a few times the search bar is completely hidden. Definitely a bug. Hope they do fix that. :p