Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The killer app for me will be when Apple is able to integrate all messaging services into a single app on iOS. It is insane to me that many people still have to contend with 3-6 different messaging apps.
That would be nice, I used to use Adium a lot for that reason

The problem comes to when certain platforms have different features, like Discord has more features than your basic texting/IM client. I could theoretically run Discord through Pidgin, but it's too basic to support the more complicated features, so I'm still better off running Discord on its own.

So unless Apple is willing to support all of that (doubt it with how stubborn they are) then that's nothing but a big pipe dream

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Was forced to finally install this garbage app due to an upcoming wedding. Boy is it even worse than I imagined. How does it manage to not even have a single background colour that matches the OS? It looks worse than a themed ICQ client from the nineties. Ugh.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
That would be nice, I used to use Adium a lot for that reason

The problem comes to when certain platforms have different features, like Discord has more features than your basic texting/IM client. I could theoretically run Discord through Pidgin, but it's too basic to support the more complicated features, so I'm still better off running Discord on its own.

So unless Apple is willing to support all of that (doubt it with how stubborn they are) then that's nothing but a big pipe dream

Discord is a bit of a different beast given that it’s more of a message board & group chat than it is a private messenger.

For most text message platforms (iMessage, WhatsApp, Signal, Telegram, SMS, etc.). The basic features are the same, and many added features are mostly fluff (eg stickers). If Apple built a single app and created APIs to allow people to integrate, I think it would be huge. Sure there’d be some loss or features at the fringes, but I think most people would gladly take that trade off. More niche platforms like Discord could continue to do their own thing (if they want).

Reactions: TwoBytes

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I miss being able to use all of those in iChat.

Yes, that was awesome but never going to happen now. App developers want control over you, not just to give you free access to their services in the much sleeker client of your choice.

Just like how difficult it is to get an Instagram or Facebook feed, and other many websites now, to appear in my RSS feed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.