Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palm Pimp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
There's already rumors of an OLED screen and higher processor. You think they will try hyping supposed "multitasking" next?

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I haven't seen any leaks yet about boot camp for the iPhone which also allows WM 6.1 to run on the iPhone.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Fear? FEAR? You gotta be kidding me. Every few months, some "iPhone-killer" comes out to only be another brick in the line of devices out there. Until someone replicates the App Store, iPod functionality (which does not mean "crappy MP3 player"), and the extreme integration (e-mail, iTunes, address book syncing), you can forget Apple taking a hit.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Fear? FEAR? You gotta be kidding me. Every few months, some "iPhone-killer" comes out to only be another brick in the line of devices out there. Until someone replicates the App Store, iPod functionality (which does not mean "crappy MP3 player"), and the extreme integration (e-mail, iTunes, address book syncing), you can forget Apple taking a hit.
I see the Pre, Android based phones and iPhone eventually ruling the entire market. Each with a similar amount of market share, maybe one of them Windows'ing it, but all of them will at least be contenders.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The notion that either the iPhone or Pre has to take market share away from each other is a joke. If anything, these new generation "smart phones" will take market share away from current "regular" phones produced by LG, Samsung and Motorola.

The smart phone market is growing exponentially. There's plenty of room for iPhone, Blackberry, Pre, Symbian, Windows Mobile and Android-based phones among others.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I dn't think Apple will let things slip out but I think ATT will be leaking new plans that compare with Sprints pricing

MxChino

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Compare with Sprint's pricing? The cheapest Pre plan is $10 more expensive then the cheapest iPhone plan.

Huh, what? There's an Iphone plan that's only 69.99 that includes unlimited data/text/gps and 450 minutes? Not that i can remember. The cheapest iphone plan is the same amount without unlimited texting. It would be $89.99 for a compareable plan. For unlimited everything for the Iphone and the Pre its $149.99 for the Iphone and $99.99 for the Pre.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Compare with Sprint's pricing? The cheapest Pre plan is $10 more expensive then the cheapest iPhone plan.

Not if you factor in unlimited messaging, which every pre plan includes.

iPhone = $30 unlimited data plan + 39.99/mo 450 anytime minute voice and no text messages = $69 + tax /mo

Pre = $30 unlimited data and unlimited messaging + 39.99 anytime minute voice plan = $69 + tax/mo

If you want unlimited messaging on the iPhone (currently) it will run you $20/mo more.. so a 450 minute plan for the iPhone 3G would run you $89.99/mo + tax.. over the course of a 2 yr contract, the iPhone 3G would cost $480 more than the Pre.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Imo, the Pre is the only "iPhone killer" that looks promising. Palm has to put their balls to the grindstone if they want to make everyone forget about iphone os 3.0 though.

The only thing i cant figure out is why Palm didnt put a landscape keyboard on the Pre...

The next iPhone revision will probably focus alot more on speed and stability, which will be awesome if they have the apps to show it off. I dont have an iPhone myself, but every time i borrow my friend's it feels really sluggish and inevitably crashes. They will really need some great apps though, the touch-screen appeal has already gotten that crowd, its time to wrangle in those who want something with a bit more processing power.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Nothing to fear...everything is known about the Pre, it gets sold 2 days before the whole world knows about the new iPhone. Two days later, the new iPhone comes out...the Pre becomes old news.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
What a silly question! :rolleyes:

Nobody is scared of anyone! Apple and Palm are mainly aiming at different markets - Palm for the business/serious user and Apple for kids/casual/entertainment use. Evidenced by their their choice of advertising media; Palm with NYT and Apple with the general user press.

Plenty of room for growth in both markets. :)

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
What a silly question! :rolleyes:

Nobody is scared of anyone! Apple and Palm are mainly aiming at different markets - Palm for the business/serious user and Apple for kids/casual/entertainment use. Evidenced by their their choice of advertising media; Palm with NYT and Apple with the general user press.

Plenty of room for growth in both markets. :)

Not entirely true IMO, everyone wants to sell more to any kind of customer. Apple is trying pretty hard to please everyone, it's just that businessmen probably don't need commercials or app stores, they're usually not even the ones buying their phones:) Whether Apple decided it or not I recall the 2G was more for the usual BB customers, from what I had seen during 07 Summer

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
While I believe the Pre will sell, being on the Sprint network makes it laughable. iPhone has nothing to worry about. People just dont switch from AT&T to Sprint. Their coverage is HORRIBLE.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
While I believe the Pre will sell, being on the Sprint network makes it laughable. iPhone has nothing to worry about. People just dont switch from AT&T to Sprint. Their coverage is HORRIBLE.
I did several years ago (back on AT&T now). Sprint's voice quality is FAR superior to any GSM carrier out there. Now if they could only improve their coverage...

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Eh, I didn't take text messages into consideration, so ok, the Pre is a bit cheaper per month.

I was going off the base advertised pricing (and I always thought the base voice plan was $29, not $39 for iPhone). And face it, many consumers don't pay attention to details or fine print. They'll see the $199* for the Pre and assume they get it for $199 out the door, which they won't unless they go to Best Buy. Those are the same people that will see the voice+data plan price between providers and not pay attention to who includes SMS and who doesn't (unless they have kids that send a gazillion text messages a month). Just like the tons of customers Sprint is counting on not sending in the mail-in rebate.

Another thing to consider is that AT&T and Verizon give discounts to just about everyone under the sun. Sprint and T-Mobile don't give them out as much. Most people in government, education, large companies, etc get AT&T or Verizon discounts. A lot of those places do not give Sprint discounts. I can, in all honestly, say that I don't personally know a single AT&T customer who pays full price for their monthly bill. EVERYONE I know has some sort of work or school discount with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.