When 4S is delivered will it work right away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SoCalRon, Oct 7, 2011.

1. SoCalRon macrumors newbie

I have a 3GS with AT&T, my iPhone 4S should arrive friday will my sim card from the 3gs work right away or do I need to go to an att store to make it work?

Also I am debating whether to switch the shipping address to my work so I can get it and play with it at work. But if i need wifi to set it up then there is no point and I should just keep it delivered to my house.

2. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

If you already have a working micro SIM, you'll be fine (note that the iPhone 3GS does not use a micro SIM).

You don't need Wi-Fi to set it up.

3. SoCalRon thread starter macrumors newbie

4. steelers501 macrumors newbie

The new iPhone doesn't come with the micro sim? We have to go to AT&T for the sim?

5. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

They can give you a micro SIM for sure. Just don't let them charge you for it. They tend to do that!

I'm not too sure as my only experience of buying iPhones from Apple are unlocked ones (I live in the UK). However, it would make sense that they'd include a micro SIM.

In that case your old SIM card should automatically be deactivated once you set up your new iPhone 4S. Or, failing that, a quick call to them should sort it out.

6. SoCalRon thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry no offense Xenc, you seem to know your *****. BUT can someone help us that is not from the UK please!

7. pittman87 macrumors regular

The iPhone will come with the SIM card already in it. Once you set it up it'll disable the SIM card in your 3GS.

8. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

It should come with a pre-installed SIM card with your information already on it. Just turn it on, go through the iOS 5 setup/activation and you're good to go within a minute or two. That's how it was with my 3GS and my 4 ordered from Apple (the setup obviously involved a computer though).

9. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

When I went from the 3G to the 4, I was wondering the same thing. I looked into cutting the bigger sim down to fit (believe it or not, its possible) and going to the store for a new sim etc...

The iPhone 4 came with a blank micro sim installed, and everything was copied to it when I sync'd the first time with itunes. NEVER went to the store.

In fact, I've never even SEEN the micro sim chip in my iPhone 4. No need.

10. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Haha no offence taken. Looks as though you'll be good to go on Friday :D

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You'll be able to activate right from the phone itself and it will come with a SIM.

12. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

same

13. SoCalRon thread starter macrumors newbie

14. GeekLawyer macrumors 68020

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    This.

This is exactly what happened last year when I moved from the 3GS to the 4. It ships with a SIM. Last year I did have to plug into iTunes to activate. This year with iOS5, I guess that step won't be necessary.