Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
So basically it has been almost 2 years with this same uni-body design do you think next year they might refresh the exterior of the MacBook pro's like they slightly did the MacBook? I mean since there are over heating problems with some of the Core i5 and i7 MBP's?

I would like some thoughts because I'm contemplating purchasing a MBP this or wait till next year if there is a chance for an update because I hate when I purchase something and then a few months later they upgrade the exterior?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
No. The design is still fresh and comparatively aesthetically pleasing. It works right now, and I think it will still work in a year. Apple have just released the iPad with the same design, so that does not show any signs of an update.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
So basically it has been almost 2 years with this same uni-body design do you think next year they might refresh the exterior of the MacBook pro's like they slightly did the MacBook? I mean since there are over heating problems with some of the Core i5 and i7 MBP's?

I would like some thoughts because I'm contemplating purchasing a MBP this or wait till next year if there is a chance for an update because I hate when I purchase something and then a few months later they upgrade the exterior?

(What overheating problems? I've heard of no credible sources, just one rag's technically-illiterate rantings, which were quickly debunked for their use of Win7, their conflation of processor surface temp with case temp, etc etc.)

As to an update: what's to update? These are the most luscious and functional laptops available. If you have ideas for making them better, I'm sure Apple would love to hear 'em. They were pretty much perfect before the recent i5/i7 update, and now they're just, wow.

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
As to an update: what's to update? These are the most luscious and functional laptops available. If you have ideas for making them better, I'm sure Apple would love to hear 'em. They were pretty much perfect before the recent i5/i7 update, and now they're just, wow.

So true, they couldn't get much better imho. People will always say they COULD be better but they don't need to be, maybe a few tweaks here and there but no major updates for a few years at least...

Prabz26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Toronto, Canada
okay from what you guys are saying do you think there even is an overheating problem?
I read on some site they computer can go up to 100 degrees
I'm not sure what to believe
has anyone gotten and i5/i7 MBp
do tey overheat

I jsut don;t wanna spend all this money for a machine that overheats and will break down soon, dont get me wrong I absolutely love mac products Im just not sure if I should wait if there is an overheating issue and if there i would they re-design the MBP for better fans or cooling system?

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I don't see any makor design change any time soon.

I think the only possible improvement in the 15" MBP could be dumping the SD slot for an Express Card one.

I don't see this happening though. That's why I'm going to get a 13" now (I will give it to my sister or sell it later this year) and I'll keep waiting for a serious Pro machine.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
In agreement with everyone here. This design is here to stay for quite some time. I would not look for a change for at least another 2-3 years.

Now if they would just make a black MacBook again. ;)

Raje

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
okay from what you guys are saying do you think there even is an overheating problem?
do tey overheat

I jsut don;t wanna spend all this money for a machine that overheats and will break down soon, dont get me wrong I absolutely love mac products Im just not sure if I should wait if there is an overheating issue and if there i would they re-design the MBP for better fans or cooling system?

I have not heard of overheating issues, the aluminum can get hot after holding it on your lap for a while but the inside is much cooler. Plastic laptops are cool(er) on the outside but hotter inside-lessening the life. Aluminum laptops are cool(er) on inside but hotter outside-lengthening computer life. 100 degrees F is not extremely hot for a laptop

nae

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
US
I don't see any makor design change any time soon.

I think the only possible improvement in the 15" MBP could be dumping the SD slot for an Express Card one.

I don't see this happening though. That's why I'm going to get a 13" now (I will give it to my sister or sell it later this year) and I'll keep waiting for a serious Pro machine.

An Express Card slot would be amazing. I seriously miss it from my old MacBook Pro (Core Duo, 2006).

Also, I just bought a new MacBook Pro 15" i7 and haven't had any heating issues with it either.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I personally am hoping they keep the exterior the same until they come up with a macbook pro 13" with internals I feel is good enough to buy a new computer for. I like the exterior design, it's one of the major reasons I'd love to upgrade my laptop (the fact that the chip is not much different from what mine has is why I don't).

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I expect a redesign to happen in 2011 when Sandy Bridge is out. Apple will have to redo the logic board in the 13" to fit an i processor with a decent GPU which in turn would likely lead to an overall redesign. Think of it like going from the aluminum 24" iMac to 27" iMac. They will likely go 16:9 for the screens with IPS and also bump up the resolution of each respective model. By then Intel will have have 25 watt i3 chips as opposed to the 35 watts they have now which is too high for the current 13" MBP to use.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
do tey overheat

There are no credible reports of overheating.

There was one post in a single online journal regarding a test of a MBP, booted into Win7, which showed the CPU's surface temperature rising to 100C, well below Intel's spec. But there were several things wrong with this test. First, the machine was booted with Win7, not the custom-designed OS X which integrates thermal management specific to Apple's configuration. For example, Win7 does not know how to switch between the GPUs; OS X handles this automatically. GPUs generate a lot of heat. Second, what most users would care about is case temperature, not internal chip temperature. Even in this lame, inaccurate and unrepresentative test, the case temperature barely exceeded your body temperature. It would not burn you. Meanwhile the test, steeped in idiocy as it was, was badly written, confusingly presented and scandalously headlined. Just the stuff for the anti-Apple brigade to gobble and barf back up ad infinitum.

The fact is, these machines run far cooler than the original MacBook Pros, one of which I pounded merrily with zero problems until I finally replaced the poor abused thing a couple months ago. They go faster than stink yet their battery life is amazing. Think about that: if they were glowing red-hot, don't you think the battery life might be a bit less than stellar?

Bottom line: there are many, many things in this world to worry about, but thermal management of the new MBPs isn't one of them.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
...Apple will have to redo the logic board in the 13" to fit an i processor with a decent GPU...

That didn't happen this time because Intel is being a little bitch about nVidia. Teardowns have demonstrated rather well that there is no room in the 13" for a separate GPU solution a la the 15" and 17".

Having said that, the 13" has a fantastic GPU now. I am really wondering what aspect of it strikes you as less than "decent." It's a marvelous upgrade and works beautifully, with great performance and stunning battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.