iPhone X When a screen replacement becomes something worse (or better)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmgregory1, Mar 21, 2018.

1. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    I took my iPhone X into an Apple store yesterday to get the screen replaced. It's the first iPhone I've owned that within a month had a very deep scratch across the lower third of the screen, along with several smaller scratches, that I think may have happened when my iPhone slid off the center console in my car and must have hit a rough piece of metal on its way down under my seat. None of my other iPhones ever had any kind of significant scratches going back to the original iPhone 10 years ago, so either my luck just ran out or the scratch protection isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be (pun intended).

I tried living with the scratch, including with a glass screen protector applied, but I just kept seeing it and didn't like the added thickness the protector created.

So I go in, having AppleCare+, and wait for two and half hours for them to do the replacement. After getting impatient and having several floor staff check multiple times where it's at in the process after 90 minutes, one of the techs finally came out with my phone in hand. He apologized for the delay - said they replaced the screen, but when doing the calibration, they couldn't get the ambient light sensor to perform to spec, and because that sensor is non-replaceable, they were giving me a new iPhone. He did ask if that was ok, as if I'd want to keep my existing X with a faulty sensor, which is likely due to the pressure they're getting from the right to fix people. I gladly accepted the replacement. The only cost for me was time in waiting and then updating the new phone from my backup, but I'm back to having a perfect screen and no out of pocket expense.

It's one of those cases where I'm glad there was something else wrong, because I didn't have to pay for the replacement screen, nor use up one of my two screen replacements on AppleCare+.

2. WabbalaFlumpkin macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

Must be nice dude! Honestly kinda jealous... Would've been very cool if you were able to keep both, lol. Be sure to atleast get a protective case or thin screen cover so it doesn't happen again! You won't even notice the screen protector if your screen is flawless.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I went in for a screen replacement for my iPhone 6+ once. That was the launch of iOS 9. My phone was jailbroken and they insisted I restore.

I said okay, fine. I will do it your way…knowing that what they wanted to do would put my phone in a bootloop. I did suggest DFU mode, but the 'genius' ignored me.

An hour later they gave me a brand new replacement phone. Some kind of problem with iOS 9 they said.

BS. The phone bootlooped and they just decided to replace it.

All I had to pay for was the screen replacement. :D

4. WabbalaFlumpkin macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

Why does everyone get lucky except for me? I went in for a screen replacement and... guess what... they called me an hour and a half later and said "your phone is ready for pickup" so I walked in and my phone was perfect... I didn't get a new one.. No fair!

5. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

I've been lucky a few times. Once, with my iPhone 5, I got caught in a huge downpour while at one of my kids lacrosse games. Even though I had my phone in my outside pocket of a Gore-tex shell, it rained so hard it literally filled the pocket up with water (through the zipper) and waterlogged the phone. I took it in, knowing I was going to have to buy a replacement outright. The tech took a look at it after opening it up, noticed that the mute switch wasn't working right (it was a bit dodgy), and said because of that, they were just going to replace it. I was floored they'd do that for me and walked out a happy Apple customer.

6. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

Just one question! How does they change a screen on a phone that is water resistant? They don't seal it back as it was from the factory! That phone won't be water resistant anymore!

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

They have the equipment and know-how to reseal it.

8. WabbalaFlumpkin macrumors member

WabbalaFlumpkin

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That wouldn’t make sense though. Because if every iPhone that went in for a repair and the water resistance was compromised after the repair, Apple would be handing out free replacement iPhones all the time if they didn’t retain the water resistance rating. They have procedures and practices they have to follow to ensure the water resistance is still intact after the repair.

10. Tavicu macrumors regular

Tavicu

Don't know about that! Apple is not replacing phones that have water damage. Right now is water resistant, not water proof!

I don't think any equipment that they have in a store can be as good as factory!

It's the first time i hear they are changing a screen for a water resistant device. In my country for example they are changing the device because of this.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I never mentioned anything about waterproofing or water damaged iPhones , I stated water resistance. And I also stated repair, which could be a simple replacement of a battery or display, but they are indeed able to remain in tact the water resistance based off their repair procedures. You can check with any Genius at an Apple store and they will confirm that.

12. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

The device Apple stores use to replace screens, replaces the adhesive and gaskets needed to provide water resistance just as it came from the factory.

13. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

If it works for watches why not for iPhones?

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I’m not entirely sure what your post is referring to, however if an Apple Watch is in need of repair, the Apple Store does not repair watches, it goes to a repair depot offsite. The iPhone however can be repaired in store for displays, battery and/or other maintenance, which can ensure the water resistance is intact.

15. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

My bad. Not necessarily referring to Apple iWatches but to most quality waterproof watches that can be repaired problem free. So too iPhones.

16. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

different.
    watches are made with replaceable gaskets.
    iPhones have seals that are glued on. much more permanent.

17. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Since you said you incurred no out of pocket charges, did they not even charge you the “deductible” or count the replacement as one of your two damage incidents under AppleCare+? Regardless, cool!

18. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

That’s correct, no costs or hits to my AppleCare+. They probably would have been better to do diagnostics on it as a first step, to see the sensor issue.

19. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Sweet; congrats!