When and should I buy a MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JDee, Apr 15, 2009.

1. JDee macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I'm 15 and am looking to know whether I should buy a MacBook.

I won't be using it for school for another bit, but I like my Apple and am interested in buying the MacBook 2.4GHz.

I have an iMac 2.4GHz - although am not in a big rush for the MacBook although should I buy it through this website: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_77705/
    or should I buy it through normal education discount, would it make a difference other than price? Would I have to show ID?

Also - is there usually a 'Back to School' promotion where you get a free rebate on an iPod every year if you buy a Mac? I bought this iMac within the period and got a free iPod nano.

When is the best time to buy a MacBook? As said, I'm not in any rush - should I wait until Snow L. is released and the back to school promotion?

Thanks.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Do wait for the Back to School promotion.

Do not waste your money on the 2.4 GHz version.

3. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why not?

Any more people willing to answer my questions?

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The 2.4GHz MacBook is a $300 premium for an incremental processor upgrade. You will not, under most conditions, notice the difference. If you were buying the MB as your only computer, you might have some reason to get the upgrade, but since you have an iMac already, there's no need to even consider the 2.4. If you're doing anything where the extra 400MHz will make a difference, you can always do it on the iMac.

Save the $300, and use it to upgrade your iMac in a couple years.

5. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Don't buy.

First of all, a fifteen year old has no need for two computers.

Second, that MacBook is not any kind of upgrade for you.

Wait until you're headed to college.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Is the education discount eligible to high school students too? WOuld they be able to get a free iPod also?

7. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

No, only college students.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wait, is the educational discount offered if you are a high school student but attends a local community college part-time? That's what I do and my college recognizes me as a student with a student ID and everything (I'm even part of a honors society club there).

To OP, you don't need a MacBook. All of my friends (I'm 15) 'own' just one computer and some none at all. Even if you buy the 2.0Ghz model, it's still a waste. Save it for a car or something in the future.

9. waiwai macrumors regular

you should buy something only when you need it.

10. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

I don't mean to sound preachy, but is there a good reason for needing two computers? A 2.4 Ghz imac will be able to do more than a macbook will be able to do. If you want something to mess around with at coffee shops, around town, on vacation, etc. buy a cheap netbook and hack it. Save the money for college; you'll appreciate it.

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

It sounds harsh, but all the posts saying this sort of thing are right. You've got a great computer, wait a few years and get a BETTER Macbook when you go to college.

12. JDee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think you're all right - I really want a MacBook but I'm going to wait until I actually get the money before I make any decisions.

I'll probably buy it in a year and a half or so.

Thanks for your help.

13. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I agree with the others. Just use the iMac for now. When it's time for college/secondary school, then go for the MB. By that time, it'll be even faster, probably have more options, etc. and will last your through college, and then some...

My 2 Cents

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Good decision. They'll be faster and you might actually need it by then.