Price Advice When and What Mac should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MemoryBoy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MemoryBoy macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a Mac for music production and gaming soon. Either I will get a Mac mini because of value, or a MacBook Pro because of portability. But I don't know if I should buy one of them now, or wait for an update.

Also, I'm wondering if Apple will come out with a tablet/computer to compete with the Microsoft Surface. Apple has said how they have tried to make OSX similar to iOS. So to me it would make sense if they did a cross over of some sort.

Although it's a good marketing strategy, it's frustrating how often they release an update. I never know whether it will be a big update like the iPad Air, or a small update like the "iPad with retina display" (even though the previous iPad had a retina display.

Should I wait for an upgrade or new product? Or should I go ahead and buy a Mac now? Also, what Mac would be the best for music and gaming?

Thanks!

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I assume you're talking about real games such as Bioshock and not angry birds. As far as I know, mac minis don't contain graphics cards, so that is the worst option for gaming. A 15" Macbook Pro, 27" iMac (or high end 21" iMac), the Mac Pro would be your best options (mac wise) for gaming.

As far as a new tablet, I think apple is actually working on a 12" iPad Pro, but I don't think it will be anything more than a bigger iPad, still running iOS which is definitely not for gaming.

I would browse the Apple refurb store, I don't see any point in waiting. The refreshes probably won't come until summer or fall of 2014.

3. MemoryBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

I would most definetely get the Mac Pro, but I'm on a budget. But it's good to know that the Mac mini doesn't have a gaming card, I had no idea! Aren't MacBook Pros decent for gaming? Because I'm not a big PC gamer, but I'd like to play some like SWToR, Minecraft and some others. It would not be primarily for gaming, mainly music production.

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Macbook Pros are pretty good for gaming, depending on the game and model of mac. Im using my 2012 retina macbook pro for gaming. The only downside is not all PC games are ported to macs. So make sure the games you want to play are available for mac. As for which ones can game, you should search youtube for specific models of macs playing games. I believe the new 13" retina macbook pro is ok at gaming, not the best though. You may want to look into that one.

5. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I do quite of Visual Media work and I mainly use a Mac Pro. I personally would get the iMac, just because I get a nice screen and it's all there. I have a MBA and it is decent enough for what I do, and I regret not spending a few hundred more on a 13" rMBP.