When answering calls, microphone isn't active for about 1-2 seconds

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Prabas, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

You have to wait 1 or 2 seconds after answering a call before you can talk or others can't hear you, because microphone is not yet on. I've tried it on 4S, 5 and 6, every single one of them has this bug.

This annoying bug is still present since iOS 7 and I can't do anything about it. Do you guys still have this issue?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I usually don't start talking until I see the counter. So prior to that I'm not sure the call is even connected yet.

3. PeteLP, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

PeteLP macrumors regular

Absolutely on 8.1.0. It's a funny bug in that two people will both say hello and then both wait for the to other speak. And keep waiting

Most people, I believe, never realize they have the bug and, after saying hello (and not being heard), both sides can just wait and hangup.

Once you realize it though you just keep repeating hello. Which is funny by itself.

Other than myself, you're the first person I've seen mention it.

----------

I believe I usually hear something on the line that sounds like it's connected. Some clicking sound, which I believe that we've learned is a connection over the years, without thinking about it.

After that is where the silent period begins.

The question I have for others is how many times have you said hello and heard no response and then waited a while. IMO that's the tip off. You just notice something weird after the fact, like you've both been there being quiet for a while.

That's when it occurs to me that one or both of us probably said hello without being heard. It's not really obvious.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

I've seen it happen to quite a few people on some carriers, like Verizon in US.

5. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Happens to me on every call too. Now I just answer the phone then take a breath before saying hello.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've had this since I came to iPhones with the iPhone 4. The speakerphone also takes an age to engage. Pretty shoddy really that no senior Apple execs have noticed this over the years.

7. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I believe this is a result of the carrier's equipment processing the connection, and has nothing to do with the iPhone microphone. I've experienced the same delay with other manufacturer's phones, smart or dumb.
    I learned long ago to always wait a couple of seconds after answering before talking on a cell phone.