When Apple releases a 3G iPhone, how do you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Sep 23, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If you have a current iPhone, and a new model comes out, what are people going to do?

1) Is Apple/AT&T going to force people to extend a contract with the new phone? They shouldn't since there is no dicount on the phone with a subscription, unlike other phones... but I bet they will require contract extension!

2) What will people do with their old iPhones? Who will buy them on ebay if they are not 3G?

3) Will the old phones still function as phone-less iPhones?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

My responses would be:

1) Yes. This is no different than with phones. When you buy a new phone they do the same thing (make you extend your contract). The quirk here is that they don't offer a subsidized price, yet you have to extend/enter a 2 year agreement. I don't see this changing.

2) Sell them outright, eBay them. etc. Again, this is no different than what happens now with other phones, electronics, PCs, etc. Someone is always looking to get "yesterdays" model for a lower cost than today's models cost.

3) There are lots of discussions of people essentially doing this with varying degrees of their needs met. I would assume the same options apply after you switch to a new iPhone.

I also don't think it will just be 3G that changes with the next iPhone rev. I wouldn't be shocked to see the capacity move up to 16GB, add a couple of other apps/tools, etc.

3. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Apple will have to really make a better upgrade in the v2 of the Iphone for me to think about upgrading my phone.

4. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i agree with you ivi, apple said the whole point of the iphone was they could update it through software, instead of buying new hardware.

i dont see a 3G iphone for a while

5. one1 macrumors 65816

1) No one is forcing you to buy a new phone and extend your contract.

2) They'll use them, as not everyone follow the latest trends like sheep.

3) Most people use their iPhone on wifi anyway, what is the difference?

6. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I think apple is going to skip 3G and go straight to 4G.

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

1) No one is forcing you. If you like your current iPhone at the time then keep it.

2) Keep it as a back up. I don't care about what ebay sellers will do.

3) If you take out the sim card then yes.

8. timmypv15 macrumors regular

i don't think they will have a major hardware upgrade until aproxx 2years, so what everyone who bought version 1 will upgrade to version two because their contracts are up

9. LoganT macrumors 68020

Is 4G HSDPA?

10. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

HSDPA is 3.5G

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I tend to agree with you. They might even release iPhone v2 a few weeks before the 2 year iDay anniversary, just to get everyones mouths watering.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

By the time the next updated iPhone is released, 3G will be almost as EDGE is now. As others have said, it's probably going to have upwards of 4G.

13. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

I hope you can just buy the new phone, transfer your SIM from current iPhone and have a very easy transition with a big smile on your face. Hoping.

14. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

with technology and electronics becoming so popular, I'm sure Apple has been testing out new methods of reducing battery size while increasing battery life. They'll probably save it for the 2nd revision iPhone. It should blow us away. :)

15. pixlnet macrumors member

Expect a 3g iPhone next summer. Job stated 2008 for 3g and they're working on them now. The plan should be the same, just pop your SIM out of your v1 iPhone and into your 3g iPhone and you're on 3g. What happens if certain towers aren't 3g near you? Will it resort to EDGE instead?

16. LoganT macrumors 68020

3G is backwards compatible with EDGE so anywhere where there is not a 3G is uses EDGE.

17. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

1. Probably will extend or superceede (previous contract waived, new contract in effect).

2. Sell my iPhone to my sister or cousin or someone. There will be takers at around $200 (assuming no more price drops... attention shoppers, iPhones now 20 cents * from tonight's Simpsons). I'll get me a 16GB 3G iPhone, maybe next summer or fall (my expectation on when they'll arrive). Who knows, maybe the price of flash drops enough for Apple to offer 32GB versions.

3. I'd assume it would revert to the way it was before you activated it.

18. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would sure like to see the current iphones updated significantly before there is a new model. At this point, I feel like we are overly due for some new features/usability improvements.

Most of the reasons why I would want to update could very likely be fixed through software, so I am hoping to not have to upgrade at all.