When Apple stops security updates for OSX Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by myrtlebee, May 17, 2015.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I have a Late 2006 C2D iMac on OSX Lion (the latest operating system available for this computer), and have never been in this situation before with a machine old enough to be cut off from security updates. For those of you who have, judging by past experience, will Apple stop issuing security updates for Lion shortly after release of this year's operating system? What happens once these updates are no longer issued- is it recommended to not use the system at all anymore due to security concerns?

I bought this thing for $175 dollars almost two years ago, and due to its size I really don't see the point in trying to sell and ship it. I'm also not keen on selling locally on Craigslist. So, I think I will want to keep it for use in my studio after I purchase another Mac sometime this year.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Lion has already been unsupported for over a year. When an Mac operating system becomes unsupported, it does not receive any more security updates. It can still receive other updates for programs such as iTunes.

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Thanks, I actually just realized this via this link after posting: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

I understand that it does not receive any security updates, but what does this mean practically? Should I stop using this machine, and how vulnerable is the system now? Thanks

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

With recent exploits, that machine is very vulnerable. While most of the exploits require physical access to the machine, there are remote exploits as well. I suggest not using Safari and instead using a browser that still gets updates and supports Lion such as Firefox or Google Chrome.

5. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Wow, thank you. I had no idea.

6. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I shifted everything over to Firefox and removed all of my saved passwords from Safari. Is there anything else on the system besides Safari that I shouldn't use or do to be as close to 100% secure as I can get? I appreciate the insight

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It'll always be insecure, but limit remote access and you'll have a better chance of maintaining some security.