When Apple was frowned upon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DockMac, Dec 15, 2011.

1. DockMac macrumors regular

10+ years ago, many folks looked down on Apple and Apple products. Friends or family laughed at us. Some of us were early adopters who hopped onto the Apple bandwagon before it became "cool" and acceptable.

Now, 10 years later, Apple and Apple products are cool and acceptable to have.

Here is your chance to gloat. Tell us a story of how friends and family made fun of you 10 years ago, but now have to recant? Did they also make the switch to Apple 10 years later?

2. ILikeTurtles macrumors 6502

IMO the same "tech nerds" who made fun of Apple products 10 years ago are still doing the same today. It's no different. The general population; however, know much better.

3. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Have things got better?

I thought having a Mac was cool back then... but now MR and the 'community' are overrun by dumb kids with iDevices. Meanwhile Apple are busy milking the iOS/iTunes cash cow they've created.

Not sure if that was the sunny and positive response you were looking for. ;)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I never really made fun of people for using Macs back then but I certainly didn't use one during the time Jobs was gone because they were quite bad. I hated MacOS 9 with a passion for instance. I had to use it at school and I really hated every minute on it. OS X Tiger was finally good enough to use.

So for me it's that Apple products were great in the beginning, sucked around the time Jobs was forced out and finally good again when OS X was mature enough.

5. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

I agree. If I had to listen to those see trough computers spurt "this is not my fault," one more time...

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well said.
    :)

7. torbjoern, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

In the year 2000, Apple still had that ****** OS 9 without preemptive multitasking - a feature provided by Microsoft since Win 95. My first experience with Macs was strongly influenced by this. I have had so many frustrations with it that after my year with G3 iMacs and OS 9, I didn't touch a Mac for ages. I hated those computers, really - until I discovered the quality of OS X and the fact that it was UNIX-based. I simply had to do some reasearch when I noticed that a high number of Comp.Sci.-professors were using MacBooks.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I barely knew of Apple 10 years ago. I always thought their stuff was way overpriced. Whenever a friend or colleague had a Mac I always asked how much it was (in a nice way without being too nosy). In all cases it was "Wow, you paid that much for a laptop?". As a result, I languished in the Windows realm from about Win95 through WinVista (Let us not forget about the joy that was Windows ME [This is when I started becoming a Windows hater]).

Right around the iPhone3G is when I starting becoming more familiar with Apple and have quite thoroughly enjoyed the ride, so to speak. Fast forward a couple iPods and an iPhone 4 later, rockin' my 15" MBP and I'm feeling quite happy overall. Once the iPad 3 is in my possession then the circle will be complete.

Getting back to topic, I never really frowned upon Apple, just thought their stuff was expensive/over priced and well outside my budget at the time. Otherwise, I probably would've gotten a Mac back then.

9. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, about 10 years ago, there was no iPod, and more importantly, there was no OS X.

I don't think that was coincidental that the tide of popular opinion turned right after these products were introduced.

I was very very unimpressed with MacOS 8 and 9. "Classic" MacOS was very literally the uncool kid in school -- in the early 90's my high school ran on Macintosh LC's running System 7 and everyone hated them, except the Mac nerds who were such fanboys that they would have loved nothing better than to have technical debates over how Macs were unequivocally better than PCs.

A friend gave me a tour of OS X sometime in the early 2000's and I was much more interested in the Unixy bits, plus I was greatly amused that Macs were not only going to now have a command line, but a far better command line than DOS. Still, it wasn't until a few years later, after I bought my first iPod, that I finally considered buying a Mac laptop to go with it.

10. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I remember I had a friend who was a few years older than me, sometime around 2004, and he had bought his own iBook G4 and I literally thought it was the coolest thing ever- my peers felt the same way. This was around three and a half years before the first iPhone came out, so I'm not really sure when you're referring to. Maybe pre-Steve return?

11. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Give me OS9 over Windows any day. Easier to use. Looks nicer. More stable. Of course, after using OSX for a decade, I could never go back to it fulltime....but it was a wonderful operating system and beat the pants out of Windows back in the day. PCs were never better than Macs and Windows was never better than Mac OS.

Less people, nowadays, raz on Apple and Macs. Which is a nice change from the 90's.

12. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

For clarification, 10 years ago was when there was a significant shift in Apple. 2001 is when OS X and the iPod came out.

13. Abstract, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

When the G3 iBooks were around? :confused: They were the best deal in town in 2002, especially when the 12" iBook with the 700 MHz or 800 MHz G3 and Nvidia 5200Go video card (32MB of vRAM) were around.

It was small. Everything else on the market was huge, except the IBM Thinkpad 12" laptop that cost ~$3000 or so.

It had a realistic 4 hour battery life (!!!!!!) when every other manufacturer was offering 1.5 hours or less. Even 2 years ago, some companies struggled to achieve 4 hours of battery life!!!! :eek:

It was around 1.2" thick when every other laptop was like 1.5" or thicker.

It was $999 and could do WiFi if you had the Airport Card. ;)

Anyway, I don't see how people could have laughed at Macs at the time. Those people were probably dumb.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the OP: I see where you are coming from, but really, I don't think that people were "laughing" at Apple in the late 1990s. It was more a case that the computer wunderkind of the 80s had somehow managed to isolate themselves from mainstream experience, and the world as known by most computer users. Thus, Apple was esoteric, expensive, and disconnected from the rest of the computing world.

I remember the 1990s, where those who had Apple computers produced documents that were not accessible to the Windows universe (and vice versa) unless one was extremely adept at making the necessary adjustments (and frankly, who has the time and interest to do this? Apart, that is, from the real afficiandos? Those who simply wished to access documents found it a trial and a real source of hassle and an absolute pain in the ....)

The response to that is neither laughter (in the 1990s, from 'them') nor gloating (now, from 'us'); it is to find a way to connect, and not to make it too difficult to do so. I'll be honest here: I don't even like the term "recant" (reminds me of religion, or a devout belief system, which is something to which I have a profound allergy); still less do I like the term "gloat", used in such a context. It implies that many others were fools for not having chosen the 'right way' in earlier times, and seems to suggest that the more faithful followers were those who slogged on the path of isolation but persevered with the true Apple belief nonetheless.

Nobody likes to be told they are a fool, or made to feel so. One can enjoy the excellence of Apple products without necessarily having to make those who don't (or didn't, in time) utter idiots.

The thing is, that most users are not too troubled at displays of computing brilliance or innovative genius or design magnificence; granted, these are wonderful things, as is Apple's fusion of form and function, but - and it is a big but - most people just want a computer that will work well, and do what it is supposed to do without giving them a headache and making them feel a fool for not having bought that model or that brand earlier.

That said, I'm a switcher - and only switched in 2008 - for a number of reasons. I bought an iPod and loved it. Moreover, Apple's customer service was a big winner to my mind. I had bought an iPod in 2006 and it died while still under warranty and was replaced without a quibble. Then, I learned that Apple was more or less immune to viruses (a plague of the Windows world along with spam and is something they have done far too little to address); that, the customer service, and the form factor, and the fact that Apple was now compatible with the rest of the world (through Office for Mac) meant it was now possible to work - without a problem -with the stuff used by the rest of the world.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

16. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

In 1997, I bought a PowerPC 9600/300 with Media100, an Adaptec Ultra Wide SCSI card hooked to an Enterprise8 RAID tower, and OS 8.0. It was for editing broadcast video, and cost $50,000 for the whole kit.

After struggling for a couple months with it, I discovered I had a faulty RAID tower, which worked wonderfully after replacing it. I loved it, and preferred it over the AVID system I was also using. Problem was, it was totally isolated from everyone else. I only knew a literal handful of people with Macs. I do seem to recall that Photoshop documents worked on both OS 8 and Windows (NT?) at the time. It had ZIP100 built in, which was nice, and I outfitted my PC with an even nicer ZIP250 shortly thereafter. I also got a magnetic optical drive (Iomega?) that I thought was the cat's a$$.

I thought the little puzzle pieces indicating extensions was amusing to watch during bootup, but other than that it was just another computer. I've been both Mac and PC ever since, and honestly, if you're savvy enough to skip the bad OS releases, they both work just as well when properly setup and maintained. I had no problems with Windows 95, NT, 2000, XP or 7. (Skipped 98, ME and Vista, as well as any "Home" version.) On the Mac side, Snow Leopard has been the best for me, and have no intention of going to Lion unless I absolutely have to.

Today, I've managed to give my Mac Pro some elixir from the fountain of youth, and it should last me quite some time. :)

17. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

And Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia. :D

18. DockMac thread starter macrumors regular

(Never mind the terminology, focus on the content.)

I guess we have had different experiences. I remember getting my first PowerBook with OS X ~10 years ago. I was a PC user that made the switch. Most everyone at the time used a PC.

Friends would laugh at poke fun at me that I got one. Why would I pay a price premium for a laptop? They would not even listen to the fact that it had less (no) viruses, ran more stable than a PC, or was designed with more thought, nor believe me. They'd further protrude that no one uses Macs and they were doomed for failure.

10 years later, the same friends have switched to Mac from Windows, and apologized for being such ********** back then, and said that everything I said was spot on, hence why they switched.

It must have been just isolated incidents of ridicule for me:(.

19. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I remember when there was a "worm" going around on Macs, and a program was written to check for it and remove it. It seems funny now... Apple and worms. Maybe it was all a big joke. I do recall the program finding it and removing it from my machine, though. Huh. Who knows.

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

qfmft

We should start a sub section that you can only post in if you were registered 6 months before the iPhone was announced.:p

21. jeremy h macrumors 6502

All the dislike of OS8 and 9 puzzles me - each to his own I guess but I liked them. (I started on OS6). I think at the time people missed the point.

I can remember a particular meeting in early to mid 90's (I think) being lectured by our computer services dept on how they were going to soon have millions of colours on their new PCs (So could well have been 95)! Gosh! Wow! Well done! ;) I didn't say much - just went back to our art department where we quietly carried on sending out full colour print work from out Macs - something we'd been doing for a few years by then!

Incidently I can remember hating the first version of OSX (10). Ugh! It felt so un Mac like - eg. nothing could be put on the desktop etc etc Mind you Apple took note of all of our anguished screams and quickly improved it...

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Oh, there were tons of viruses and worms for the older MacOS. The high school Macs were almost always infected with CDEV or nVirB or some other virus.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To a certain extent, I agree with the content; however, language exists for a reason, - it is a form of communication where the meaning is generally agreed upon - and, if the terminology is not important, then why use such words?

For me, the crunch came with iPods and iTunes - when I first bought them, I realised that they were simply far better than that awful package on Windows for ripping and burning CDs - and the excellent Apple service that I received when my the HDD of my first iPod died while still under warranty. That is when I seriously began to look at Apple, and to research the advantages and disadvantages of getting one.

Of course, Apple computers are by far the best computers I have ever had, (although the Sony Vaio and the Toshiba Satellite I had before that were not bad),and, these days, unless work environments demand it (most Governments and international organisations tend to favour Windows, whereas educational establishments tend to be a bit more open-minded), I've no intention of reverting, but, I simply recommend them when asked, rather than 'gloating'. It is enough that I have it, and derive great enjoyment, as well as personal and professional pleasure, from using it.

And yes, some friends having observed my switch, and observed and tried out my Apple laptop, have asked about it and subsequently switched themselves.

Re those who laughed or mocked, I'd imagine that they see computers as a work tool, nothing more, rather than something which can become - and did - a design classic. Whenever anything (cars, computers, offices) are seen solely as a work tool, aesthetic and form judgements tend to be suspended, and economic and functional ones hold sway instead, as this then becomes the main criterion for choosing one product over another.

Sometimes, it seems that those who assess using these criteria, may resent those who choose according to different criteria. Such resentment may be expressed by mockery - and I suppose that computers became one of the ways in which people attempted to define themselves. Those who differ from the norm - in any walk of life - tend to attract unwanted attention.

Cheers

24. UlsterApple macrumors regular

My first Mac was running OS7, it was a Performa 6400 with the 603e processor.
    Even back in the mid-90s when I didn't even have a PC, I still went for Mac as Apple were renowned for being good and a step above Windows.

25. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

some bad news for you; "earlier adopters" bought their Macs 20 years ago, not 10. :p