Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
If there is something in particular you are after, keep checking back. Most stuff makes an appearance at least once a week.

olly666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
If there is something in particular you are after, keep checking back. Most stuff makes an appearance at least once a week.
Yeah the MA896LL ($1299), I saw it the other day but then it disappeared before I had a chance to do anything.

AxeManNY

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Refurb Mini's

I've been keeping an eye on the Mini's as they become available in the refurb section. They seem to become available in the later part of the day; Eastern time...around 7pm. They don't last too long and are usually out of stock by the afternoon of the next day. For such an unloved product...there sure seems to be a lot of demand for them in the refurb space.

olly666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've been keeping an eye on the Mini's as they become available in the refurb section. They seem to become available in the later part of the day; Eastern time...around 7pm. They don't last too long and are usually out of stock by the afternoon of the next day. For such an unloved product...there sure seems to be a lot of demand for them in the refurb space.
I have a theory that they are being bought up by ebayers. They then put them on ebay listing them as "new" with a 1 year warranty (which you know isn't true because they are no longer made/sold...). They're making $50-$200 a piece by my calculations.

AxeManNY

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
I have a theory that they are being bought up by ebayers. They then put them on ebay listing them as "new" with a 1 year warranty (which you know isn't true because they are no longer made/sold...). They're making $50-$200 a piece by my calculations.

I'm thinking you may be right. I bid on a couple on eBay before I bought a refurb. I wouldn't bid over $450 for a 1.8 as I knew I could get a refurb. for $500. It didn't make any sense to see the eBay prices higher than the refurb. prices until I realized they don't last too long on the refurb. site. Gotta love the market dynamics.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
I have a theory that they are being bought up by ebayers. They then put them on ebay listing them as "new" with a 1 year warranty (which you know isn't true because they are no longer made/sold...).

Actually, refurbs come with a one year apple warranty, including minis. Now whether that is transferable or not is another matter... Um, I got it as a gift from my uncle in, um, yeah....

olly666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
Seattle, WA
Actually, refurbs come with a one year apple warranty, including minis. Now whether that is transferable or not is another matter... Um, I got it as a gift from my uncle in, um, yeah....
Yeah but that's what I'm saying... They buy them as refurbs from apple with a one year warranty, and sell them as "new, with a one year warranty". :(

SDLSteve

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2004
Florida
I've found they put new listings up in the evenings anywhere between 9pm-11pm typically Tuesday's -Thursdays with more rare Friday-Saturday listings (I don't recall ever seeing new listings on Sunday's).

I just checked (it's 8:30 here) and I don't know see any evidence of new listings but I'm personally looking for a 23inch display so my search is limited.

spacecadet610

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
I don't know. When I was trying to get one of those refurb mac mini $429 deals a while back, the only time i was successful was at like 5-6 am Eastern Time. They only lasted like 30 minutes before they were gone

Srai-W

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Singapore
Singapore/Australia

I have never checked the US store (being Australian, but living in Singapore) but always check the Singapore and Australian sites. The Singapore one almost never has mac Minis, and rarely has iMacs. The Australian site has more iMacs, but again not many Minis. Both have a heap of MBs and MBAs and fairly frequently MBPs. I have been watching as I want to get a Mini (or at least see what they are worth as a refurb) but they don't come on often enough!!!

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.