When are new iMacs due?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ravinder08, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ravinder08 macrumors regular

My brother in-law is looking to buy his first ever Apple computer. He was about to buy one at the weekend, but I advised him to hold off as the current model was released in Sept 2013.
    Also he was thing of getting the 27" i5 3.4
    Would it be better to buy the base model i5 3.2 and add a Fusion drive?
    is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M with 2GB video memory that much better than the 1GB video memory?
    He will be using it as a general family computer web browsing, emails, office apps etc and not doing any heavy Video editing or using any Pro Applications.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Many thanks :)

2. FroggyTaco macrumors newbie

On a technical level there's a huge diff between the two video cards as seen here:

GT 755m Specs

GTX 775m Specs

That being said if there's no gaming involved then the lower version will be sufficient & yes at least a fusion drive would be wise for overall responsiveness.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Definitely at least fusion drive, preferably all ssd. Upgrades will happen this year, but no telling when.

4. Korky macrumors member

Isn't the latest one the Retina 5k imac and therefore an Oct 14 model (granted rest of it is pretty much the 2013 model)

Being new to iMacs myself guessing Apple have an annual refresh like they do with the iPads and iPhones

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not quite

The refresh on the macs tends to be a bit more random and less than a year for refreshes on portables, although this includes minor speed bumps to the same processors as Intels binning gets better with time.

To be honest that use case could be done on an ipad with ease any current Imac will be more than enough for that use case for the life orf the computer.

As others have said a fusion or SSd drive is the only upgrade required. If any gaming is done go for the better graphics if not don't worry about it....