When are new iMacs usually released?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yoshibirdofan, Mar 10, 2012.

1. yoshibirdofan macrumors regular

I am getting one for my birthday in late April, but when are updated models usually released?

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

It varies. The last ones were in May though.

3. yoshibirdofan thread starter macrumors regular

Do they usually tend to be big updates, or are they just small updates?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Define "big" and "small."

5. leman macrumors 604

They are usually released when there is new technology which can be used in them (faster CPUs or GPUs). Right now, the iMac still uses the top-end (or near top-end) chips from Intel and ATI. It will change next month though, we will see then.

6. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Depends on your definition. If Big is defined as a re-design, don't count on it.

Likely this update will give better processors (although not a huge jump from the 2011 models), likely better GPU's and USB 3.0 support. Plus maybe some better prices for the SSD's. That's about it though and anything at this point is speculation.

7. camardelle macrumors 6502

I picked mine up in August '11 during the back to school sales. Saved a ton of cash having my daughter and her student id card there to help.

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Since the iMacs introduction we Are currently in the biggest gap of all time

9. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

If I were you I would definitely wait until the new ones release before getting if your birthday is in April. Rumors suggest April/May

----------

oh come on... Isn't that one of the first things you genetically learn in life?
    big |big|
    adjective ( bigger , biggest )
    1 of considerable size, extent, or intensity: big hazel eyes | big buildings | big cuts in staff.
    • [ attrib. ] of a large or the largest size: my big toe.

small |smôl|
    adjective
    of a size that is less than normal or usual: the room was small and quiet | the small hill that sheltered the house.
    • not great in amount, number, strength, or power: a small amount of money.

----------

Big updates. The new processors will be big upgrades in both performance and efficiency. If usb 3 is included it will be major. Possible re design i would class as major too.

@person saying re design is not major. What is one of the major reasons Apple is so successful? Because the stuff looks better than the rest. aka re design = big

10. Bear macrumors G3

When they are ready.

That depends on what new technology is available. And of course what you mean by "bag and "small".

The probably processors are a small upgrade in processing power, but do add the possibility of Apple adding USB 3.0.

Then there come the assorted questions of:
    • Which graphics proccessor?
    • Base memory size?
    • Disk configuration and options?

Right now it's all guesswork. Best guess is within a month or 2, and will be an improvement at the same base price.