Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lastochka

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Why do you need to wait for a new iMac? The last batch came out less than six months ago. What's wrong with them? Don't they meet your requirements?

6 month is ancient history in this business. If you buy now you loose money. I want montevina, faster cpu, better gfx.

lastochka

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
This is Apple. Computers retain value.

And the graphics cards probably won't be updated.

Well, if I order now and the updates get released in a month like the buyer's guide suggests I'll loose money. I'm gonna get the updated MacBook Air next week (unless it has nvidia chipset) and use it as work-puter until they release the new iMacs. But I want them be released sooner rather than later.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I think they will hold steady until they get Nehalem technology. That won't be until Q2 09 I would say. The current iMac already has early montevina technology. Unless you have a high gaming requirement, buy now.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I think they will hold steady until they get Nehalem technology. That won't be until Q2 09 I would say. The current iMac already has early montevina technology. Unless you have a high gaming requirement, buy now.

Mobile nehalem isn't coming out until at least Q3 2009. You're thinking of the desktop nehalem parts.

deff808

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
On Oct 14th, will the prices be reduced on the imacs? If not, i'm just gonna order a new Imac...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Mobile nehalem isn't coming out until at least Q3 2009. You're thinking of the desktop nehalem parts.

Actually, if Intel grants technology earlier again, I would say Q2 is spot on. Desktop parts hit before the years end and Q3 will be mobile Nehalem.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
If you want my guess we could see a quad core iMac this year but I'm leaning toward MWSF 2009.

Keep in mind the Q6600 has been out since November 2006.

lastochka

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Nehalem is still a way off and would mean a substantial redesign of the motherboard. I'm hoping for ar technology refresh before the holidays this year, or maybe in the beginning of the next year. Faster processor, SSD and a better GFX are on my wishlist :)

jrcsh6

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
i'm really hoping for quicker processors maybe the quad core, blu-ray burner, more ram (4gb standard), and 1tb standard on the big one top of the line. i think that is all due soon.maybe a bigger screen? a huge imac 30" that would be amazing. i used to think my 20" g5 imac was big but now it feels small

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
New York
AGAIN WE DONT KNOW STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT WE DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER TOO. Sorry lol im getting mad with threads like this they think Steve Jobs i roaming Macrumors.

lastochka

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
AGAIN WE DONT KNOW STOP ASKING QUESTIONS THAT WE DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER TOO.

Now that was uncalled for.

they came out last week.
silent roll-out.

Lies! Sweet lies and icecream! :D

Still, since speculation is all we have at this point why not enjoy it. I'm merely asking about what you think is a plausible release date for the new iMacs based upon educated guesstimation, rational logic and some common sense.

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
a graphic posted here somewhere pictures the imac update in november. So far it is accurate. ipod september, macbooks october, imac november

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
Some rumors are indicating that it'll be during november. September & October being the iPod and Notebook' months.

Are there new processors availables for them at the moment anyway? Intel isn't supossed to come with new mobile Penryns processor during January/Febuary?

Personally, I don't really beleive this rumor, since they are more likely to be updated during MWSF 09'.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
AppleInsider says "speed bump" in November.

Penryns are getting speedbumped 133 MHz in Q1 2009. Also, a new 2.0 GHz $348 quad-core (Q9000) coming then too.

Mobile Nehalem is not coming until late 2009 (quad-core) and January 2010 (dual-core).

In regards to November 2008 vs. Q1 2009, remember that the last iMac update was in April 2008, 3 months before the 1067 MHz FSB (Montevina) Penryns' launch. The iMac's Penryns (at least the 3.07 GHz one) were 10 W hotter at the same clock speed as the Montevina ones. So November makes sense, and we could see 3.2 GHz as the top CPU in those iMacs (with 2.53/2.8/2.93 GHz for the others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.