Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Still not feeling the whole "iTunes Match! Let's manage music on multiple devices thing." ... The iPod was successful, because it was easy!

I can never keep track of which music is where anymore.... :mad:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Not quite sure what you mean. Match makes ALL of your music, playlists, metadata, etc exactly the same no matter what device you access it from. What are you trying to keep track of? :confused:

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Not quite sure what you mean. Match makes ALL of your music, playlists, metadata, etc exactly the same no matter what device you access it from. What are you trying to keep track of? :confused:

What music is available when I'm offline.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
The music that you've chosen to download to the device. While online, you can turn off displaying music that isn't on the device so there's no confusion.

Right, but I have playlists setup like "Recently Added" so that songs I add are automatically put on my iPhone. There's no such feature in iTunes Match :(

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Right, but I have playlists setup like "Recently Added" so that songs I add are automatically put on my iPhone. There's no such feature in iTunes Match :(

What? ALL playlists you have in iTunes are also on your devices. And vice-versa. Match allows ALL devices and computers to stay in sync. Any songs you see on your device with a cloud icon are not (yet) physically on the device. No cloud, it is. You can still have your Recently Added playlist, and it will update on all devices in near real-time. As with any playlist, if you want to have it available offline, scroll to the bottom of the list and Download All.

----------

Still not feeling the whole "iTunes Match! Let's manage music on multiple devices thing." ... The iPod was successful, because it was easy!

I can never keep track of which music is where anymore.... :mad:

And to directly address your concern here, if anything, Match makes things MUCH simpler - there is no longer any managing what music is on what device. Sorry, but it was never easy to pick the 26GB of music that would happen to fit in the free space on my phone. With Match, all that manual syncing and choosing what goes where is no longer necessary.

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
What? ALL playlists you have in iTunes are also on your devices. And vice-versa. Match allows ALL devices and computers to stay in sync. Any songs you see on your device with a cloud icon are not (yet) physically on the device. No cloud, it is. You can still have your Recently Added playlist, and it will update on all devices in near real-time. As with any playlist, if you want to have it available offline, scroll to the bottom of the list and Download All.

----------

And to directly address your concern here, if anything, Match makes things MUCH simpler - there is no longer any managing what music is on what device. Sorry, but it was never easy to pick the 26GB of music that would happen to fit in the free space on my phone. With Match, all that manual syncing and choosing what goes where is no longer necessary.

I get what the OP is saying. If you happen to be somewhere without signal, that's a bad time to realize that the CD you just ripped on your computer is "in the cloud" instead of being available offline on your iDevice. What he's asking is when will Apple have a setting to automatically download all the songs in certain playlists as they are updated. Then you get the automated syncing of your most used and most recent music, plus the availability of the rest of your library wherever there is a network connection. It's a great idea, but they need to iron out the functionality bugs in Match first.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I get what the OP is saying. If you happen to be somewhere without signal, that's a bad time to realize that the CD you just ripped on your computer is "in the cloud" instead of being available offline on your iDevice. What he's asking is when will Apple have a setting to automatically download all the songs in certain playlists as they are updated. Then you get the automated syncing of your most used and most recent music, plus the availability of the rest of your library wherever there is a network connection. It's a great idea, but they need to iron out the functionality bugs in Match first.

Fair enough, but that doesn't make things any more complicated now than they were before. At least with Match you have the option to stream your content. Either way requires some management if you want to be sure your music is available offline. One requires a computer to sync, the other requires a network connection. I'd be surprised to see Apple offer automatic downloads to playlists any time soon as they are being extremely careful about data usage.

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Fair enough, but that doesn't make things any more complicated now than they were before. At least with Match you have the option to stream your content. Either way requires some management if you want to be sure your music is available offline. One requires a computer to sync, the other requires a network connection. I'd be surprised to see Apple offer automatic downloads to playlists any time soon as they are being extremely careful about data usage.

I would think its something they would do when on Wi-Fi and connected to power. Basically the same as Wi-Fi sync, only now it's with the cloud.

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003

It's a nice option, but a lot of places I listen to my music I don't have sufficient 3G coverage to download songs on demand. And it's also a waste of bandwidth/battery.

I've grown accustomed to just selecting which music I want to have with me in advance, but the appeal of Match is being able to download songs on-the-go that I'd forgotten.

The problem is that I feel the music is difficult to manage on the device itself, and it'd be nice to have a hybrid of the two systems in place or something.

Plus, I don't want incomplete playlists to be visible either unless "Show All Songs" is turned on. Little kinks definitely should be ironed out, but so far between computers, iTunes Match is fantastic.

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Match AND Sync??

After iTunes match is run and everything is either matched or uploaded, what of songs it LEAVES BEHIND? Is it possible to sync them over the old-fashioned way, with the sync cable? Can they then be placed in their proper place(s) in the appropriate playlist(s)? Or are you just screwed out of those songs? :eek:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
If you want all songs on a particular playlist to be available why not just download them to the devices when connected to wifi, when you create the playlist.

Obviously you have to pick and choose which albums/playlists/songs to keep permanently on the devices. I can easily determine which albums/songs i would like to have with me at all times, everything else is a bonus.

Luckily i have enough space on my iPhone and iPad for my favourite stuff.

If i'm outside cell coverage and i feel like listening to an album i don't have offline, well thats life.

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
If you want all songs on a particular playlist to be available why not just download them to the devices when connected to wifi, when you create the playlist.

Obviously you have to pick and choose which albums/playlists/songs to keep permanently on the devices. I can easily determine which albums/songs i would like to have with me at all times, everything else is a bonus.

Luckily i have enough space on my iPhone and iPad for my favourite stuff.

If i'm outside cell coverage and i feel like listening to an album i don't have offline, well thats life.

Yeah, but is there a way to capture the whole playlist when it's on your phone without pressing the download icon for every single song? I have hundreds of songs in some of my playlists. Pressing download for each song, one by one, is a distinctly un-Apple-like level of inconvenience.

Edit: Ah-ha; my playlists are so long, I didn't think to scroll all the way to the bottom, where the 'download all' button is. It should really be at the top.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.