when are thunderbolt to firewire adaptors coming out?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dmcgee123, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dmcgee123 macrumors newbie

this seems pretty basic, no? i would love to have my firewire audio device and firewire hard drive plugged in at the same time. i can do this on my 2008 MPB, but not on my brand new shiny imac.

whats the holdup?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One is already out. The 2011 Apple Cinema Display has a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter in it.

A hold up for more cheaper ones could be that Thunderbolt is a bit expensive right now.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

4. Dmcgee123 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have one FW800 port, but for recording id much rather run the hard drive and interface on separate ports, rather than use a hub.

i know the technology is expensive, but really? not one adapter on the market yet beyond a $1000 display?

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

No need for a hub, just daisy chain. That's one of the nice things about FW800. Not sure why they haven't come out with adapters yet though.

6. Nightex, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Nightex macrumors member

I have serious need!

If I run both my audio interface and firewire drive on the same interface, no matter what order they are daisy chained in, or if I use a hub, I end up with pops and clicks and other horrible noise.
    And I need to run sessions off/on the drives as USB is too slow and running on the internal can cause completely different issues.
    My old solution was the use of an express card firewire adapter with my early 2008 MB Pro (which no longer has a working logic board).

The new solution should be a thunderbolt to firewire converter.

In April, Sonnet said they would be bringing one out by Spring, however nothing yet and no news (its Summer in the US now, right?).
    http://www.sonnettech.com/news/pr2011/pr041111_thunderbolt.html

They do mean Spring 2011... don't they?

BTW Yes, I realise the 17" has an express card slot. But I don't want a 17" laptop, nor do I want to pay an extra 1/3 of the of the price for stuff I don't need or replace all the gear I have to suit my 15".

7. Nightex macrumors member

Perfect timing, got an email response from Sonnet customer support today saying:

"Thank you for your interest in our FW800 to Thunderbolt product. We will have updated information on on our FW 800 and Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt connectivity products by mid August."

Boo YA!

(Although cross-fingers that information isn't "we have been delayed because blah blah blah and will be expecting to ship these devices in mid 2012")

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Daisy chaining for audio recording is always a crapshoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and software and hardware manufacturers usually don't know why this is. I've been thru it myself. I used to daisy chain without issues on my 2010 13" MBP. Then on my 2011 15" MBP I wasn't able to without errors. Also wasn't able to daisychain on a 2010 27" iMac. I now run my audio drive on USB. Not as fast as FW obviously, but I'm error-free running this why.

Thunderbolt adapters will open up a ton of options for us audio folks.

9. MaartenL macrumors newbie

Any update on this? Would like to use Firewire on my MBA '11 for tethered shooting with my camera.

10. MaartenL macrumors newbie

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Only the 27" Thunderbolt display has one at this time.

12. floaty83 macrumors newbie

floaty83

I found an updated press release on Sonnet's website citing a Q2 2012 availability for their Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Where do you see that? I don't see any such announcement on the press page of their website. Note that they did just release their Expresscard 34 adapter, which you can use to install an Expresscard Firewire port.