When are US holidays?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mildredop, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I'm dealing with an American company who I can't get hold of today. Do Americans have holidays where people don't go to work? Is today one of them?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This is a list of US national holidays. Which ones the company with which you are working take off...I don't know.

3. dingster1 macrumors regular

It's Columbus Day in the States, a federal holiday. Government and banks closed

4. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

New Years, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the big holidays that EVERY who isn't ME gets to have time off. I have no holidays.:(

There are several Nerd holidays: March 14th (Pi day), April 5th (First Contact Day or Star Trek Day), May 4th (Star Wars Day).

5. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

So as the company isn't the government (isn't it always closed at the moment?) or a bank, they should be open for business?

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Banks are regulated by the federal government, so they take all federal holidays, including Columbus Day, President's Day, Labour Day, and Memorial Day. (And people complain about teachers getting too many days off!)

7. Mildredop thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for this - what I'm asking is: are my emails to an American company (not government nor a bank) being ignored because they are actually closed due to a public holiday?

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It is possible although I don't know of many companies that close for Columbus day. It is also quite likely that they are just being slow to get back to you

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Yes, it's possible a non-government non-bank American business is closed today. Some of them observe Columbus Day. Some don't.

Or it could just be a slow email day.

10. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Some are and some aren't. There are no laws where a company has to be closed during a government holiday but most are.

Just call tomorrow.