When are we expecting a real upgrade (chipset) on MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nano, Oct 14, 2008.

1. nano macrumors member

I'm loving my SR 2.2 15" here, thought I might be tempted by today's update, but I'm going to stick with what I've got for now.

What's the latest consensus as to when a major revision will occur?

Thanks!

2. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Umm this is without a doubt considered a major revision bro. It is a new chipset, new gpu, new keyboard, new display style. That is a major revision, not just a speed bump from penryn to montevina.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This is the chipset upgrade. The update with be the Nehalem processor update.

4. kman79 macrumors regular

In terms of specs, I too think this is a major revision. I for one, do not like the aesthetics of the New MBPs, specifically the keyboard, but that's all about personal preference. The only thing I'm jonesing for is the udpated touchpad, other than that, I have no real urge for the new MBP. I haven't seen any benchmarks yet though, unless it's multiple times faster than my current 2.4 SR MBP, I'm quite happy with my current MBP.

5. nano thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification, sorry for misusing terms.

When are we expecting the processor update?

Looking at the numbers, these machines don't seem a huge step up from my SR 2.2--or am I mistaken?

6. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

The Nehalem thing is a bit more hairy than the normal tick/tock schedule. This explains the situation

EDIT: for notebooks it seems it could be nearly a year away. I have a feeling we'll see a minor Penryn/Montevina/Nvidia (whatever you want to call this new config) refresh along the way before the transition to Nehalem.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The faster FSB and memory will be it... the benchmarks should be interesting to compare contrast the Nvidia MCP79 and Intel Santa Rosa chipsets.

Especially if Nvidia can keep up on the GPU front. Otherwise it might be more of a brick anchor like than the PPC's Intrepid chipset.