When are we expecting the rMBP with Skylake?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ArtOfWarfare, Jul 12, 2015.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I've read multiple articles saying that Skylake-S will be released August 5th, but the Skylake-S is a desktop CPU - not something Apple would put in a laptop where power consumption is an important issue.

This article concludes:
    But what does the phrase "The remaining Skylake lineup" mean? Does that mean every Skylake chip, including laptop and netbook CPUs, will be released in that timeframe? I don't normally follow Intel news all that closely, but my understanding was that Intel tends to spread out releases over several months and not release everything within a single month. Am I incorrect in thinking that?

That's the first part of the problem - the Skylake CPU being released. The second part of the problem is, when will Apple actually release an rMBP using it?

Looking at the MacRumor's Buyer's Guide, we see that in recent history, Apple hasn't updated a single product closer than 215 days together (ignoring the 71 days between releases from March and May of this year, because those impacted separate sizes). Since we're only 54 days from recent update of the 15" rMBP, it would seem to me that we're going to be waiting around 161 more days until the next refresh, which puts us in late December (the 20th, to be exact).

Apple obviously won't be revealing it in December, though. The latest Apple has ever revealed a product was in late October, 2012, when they revealed new iMacs which shipped a month later.

That actually seems somewhat plausible... if Apple were to similarly announce the MacBook Pro in late October then ship on Black Friday, that would put their release on November 27th, 2015. Which would have the releases be 192 days apart for the 15" model, and 263 days apart for the 13" model.

Of course, revealing and shipping being more than 2 weeks apart is a bit odd for Apple. Maybe they would reveal and ship it on October 26th? That would put them at 160 days apart for the 15" model and 231 days apart for the 13" model.

Okay, so that's my thought for when the rMBP could ship. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there some reason that Apple would announce earlier or later than late October?

If they don't announce by late October, I think that would push the release all the way back to the middle of February, since Apple hasn't had an announcement in January since 2007 for the original iPhone. Which would see them going 265 days between releases for the 15" and 336 for the 13", which would be the longest gap between releases for the 12/13" line since 1997.

2. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I'd love to know the answer to your questions. I'm holding back my purchase of a current 15" rMBP even though it was just released. I doubt we will see skylake before next July on 15" rMBP.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

None of those mentioned in that line up are laptop chips. we currently have no idea when intel will release the skylake chips for laptops. My guess would be towards the end of the year with rMBP updates Q1 next year sometime.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

None of those mentioned in that line up are laptop chips. we currently have no idea when intel will release the skylake chips for laptops. My guess would be towards the end of the year with rMBP updates Q1 next year sometime.

5. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Okay, thanks for letting me know that.

I'll be holding onto my "obsolete" iMac and MacBook Air until whenever a Skylake rMBP is released. It seems like Skylake is going to be much more future-proof then the current Broadwell is.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Skylake is going to make little difference to broadwell, the mobile chips don't support DDR4, about the only good thing about them is better graphics in the 15-28W ULV mobile chips (13 inch rMBP) and the ability to support thunderbolt 3 over USB-C, useful for 5K external screens....

7. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Doubtful. With the whole "ultra hyper portable razor thin" thing going on companies are now releasing devices with the same processing power as a higher-end notebook from 2007. Which means the OS and software must be optimized to run on that too.

8. ArtOfWarfare, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Bummer. Hadn't realized that.

Exactly. This is why I'm waiting. I'm expecting new external displays soon which are going to require Skylake. Getting a Broadwell computer now that won't work with accessories released in a few months sounds like a terrible choice.

Must explain why my 8 year old iMac is still running current software acceptably.

Realistically, I think the supply of computing power met what most peoples needs are a few years ago. If you look at 99% of computer users, I think you find the most demanding thing any of them do is play games, and the computing requirements for games peaked 4-10 years ago.

Also, I just tested this the other day and found that LTE in my area has adequate bandwidth to stream beyond HD quality video, and the ping is low enough (~30 ms) that I don't think it's unrealistic to move all computing power into the cloud. You just have a keyboard, mouse, and screen with an LTE connection and all the actual hardware is someplace else.

9. qwert10 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    Actually we know a bit more about the CPU releases for RMBP. Intel will release Skylake for notebooks in 2 waves (another source):
    The first wave will be released in late September and the second wave in January. It is unclear however if the first wave processors are the ones apple will use for their RMBP lineup or if they will wait for January.

As Apple always uses the chips with better graphics we know that the 13" RMBP will feature some kind of successor to the Iris 6100 Pro, which is the HD 540. However we currently don't know the graphics processors of the september wave Skylake U processors, except for the i5 6200U which uses the HD 520 and because of that won't be in the RMBP.
    For the 15" I think they will use the Core i5/i7 HQ Processors which are released in september.

All in all I think an upgrade in mid/late October for the 15" is very likely and for the 13" also quite likely, because of the Skylake release timing.

10. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Cool! Thanks for sharing! So I'm back to thinking that I'll be swapping out my iMac for an rMBP this October. I can wait that long.

11. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

I wonder what you guys think about the possibility of a reworked 15" MacBook pro design-wise. I'm expecting a thinner profile in July along with skylake.

12. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I expect it will be the same externally with just new internals. New ports, but otherwise the same.

Definitely won't happen in July. The 15" was updated just two months ago.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There is the possibility of a silent update to broadwell though, they can just drop the chip in with no other changes.

14. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

#1 - Aren't they already shipping with Broadwell now?
    #2 - Wouldn't the processor speeds change or anything? I would expect either Apple would have a banner that says "14% faster!" or they would increase the battery life. Why make an update at all if you're not going to advertise it in any way? It'd be cheaper to just not update it at all in that case.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No they stayed with haswell because the broadwell was not released yet. (the 13 inch are broadwell)

yep a few hundred MHz is about the only difference and an extra hour battery life maybe. But after the recent upgrade with the M370X I think it would be just considered a minor CPU bump (maybe 4-5%) and not worth announcing. They are more likely to leave it until skylake now though.....