When are we getting app trials for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rogifan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I think the success of iPad Pro depends on great software for it. I think Apple needs to change its business model to make developing great software for the iPad sustainable. One way of doing that is allowing for trials in the App Store along with upgrade pricing and a way for consumers to communicate directly with developers. Why is this so difficult for Apple to implement? Is it because they're afraid of being held hostage by A developer like they were with Adobe and Microsoft in the 90s? It makes zero sense to me. Apple should be bending over backwards to make sure iPad has the best productivity software on the planet.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

We already have it. Any app developer can release a limited use version for free with an IAP to unlock. There is your trial

3. rappr macrumors member

I'd be fine with the trials and upgrade pricing, but my favorite thing about the App Store is having an intermediary between me and the developer. I don't want a direct relationship with the developer. I want to buy a app and be done with it. Period.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

/thread

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I would love if there was a way to give feedback directly to the developer. Especially for apps that aren't free.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

and you can return your purchase. (dont know how many until you cant - which is odd.)

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's up to the developer to implement, not Apple. Many of the apps I use have "Help" or "Support" options that link to the developer's website where there are contact options, or in some cases allow you to send messages directly to the developers from the app.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Most developers have websites or include a feedback option in the app. Do you have a particular app you use where this is not possible?

9. Mivo macrumors regular

Mivo

That's not the same for me, though. Having had some issues in the past with IAP purchases (and their recovery after a longer period of time), I'm hesitant to drop more substantial amounts of cash on IAP-based unlocks.

Earlier this year when Europeans could return apps within 14 days, I actually used the opportunity to try out a few apps that I was unsure about. Not the 99 cents kind, but the $20+ stuff. I returned some, and I kept some. The bottom line was that this opportunity to test out apps (any app, not just stripped demo versions) led me to making more purchases than I would otherwise have made.

10. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

actually no you can't. Not in the guaranteed way you seem to think. If you look at the terms for using the App Store it says all sales are final. The EU has a law that companies have to let you return a bought but not installed application. You buy an iOS app via your computer and you can say that you never installed it because you can't use it on the computer but do it off your device and its installed automatically. So technically Apple can say that law doesn't apply.

They have from time to time made exceptions cause its easier to do it one time then deal with ranting etc. But legally speaking they don't have to.

in the case of Marco Arment and his dumped app they're likely doing it without fuss cause it gives them the power to screw him. If you read the developer rules the developer is responsible for 100% of all returns. Apple gets to keep their 30% so the math can potentially not work in his favor. If everyone that downloaded the app demands a refund he could end up owing them money, which they can likely take out of any earnings from Overcast until it zeros out