When are we going to see a 32GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stuart in Oz, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

I bought a 16GB iPod Touch when they first came out and I love it to bits - so an iPhone 3G is my next natural step.

HOWEVER - I've been bumping up against the 16GB for months now. I have an 11GB audio collection and what with all my contacts & emails & so on, I have about 4GB left spare.

I love watching video on the thing (on the train, the bus, in bed at night) and with only 4GB spare I'm always dumping one video to load on another.

I record a lot of my tv shows on EyeTV and send them to the iPod to watch at a more convenient time, plus I have five video podcasts I regularly watch. The short version is - I need 32GB.

Does anyone else thing this way? Who else wants a 32GB iPhone? Anyone want to venture an opinion about when we will see one?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

September, possibly, with the 64GB iPod touch.

3. Stuart in Oz thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you guessing or have there been rumors?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How are those different? It's Apple. No one knows anything.

5. Stuart in Oz thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL - Fair point!

I mean though, have there been any credible public rumours?

And how do you feel about a 32GB unit yourself?

6. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Seems to me like the iPod touch is always 1 notch above the iPhone. (memory wise)

That totally makes sense, gives more reason to want an iPod touch (even though I have no need for it, I have an iPhone)

7. nima macrumors member

nima

i found out why...

they dont make 32gb chips for iphone its because on the ipod touch they have enough room to add two 16gb chips to make it 32gb but on the iphone since theres limited space the most they can do it 16gb because 32gb chips would cost the same amount as the iphone itself.

8. theotherrogue macrumors regular

Let me translate:

The iPhone has room for only 1 flash memory chip, the iPod touch has room for 2.

Right now, Apple is only ordering 16GB chips from Samsung because 32GB chips haven't become affordable. Whenever the iPhone gets updated to 32GB, the iPod Touch will get updated to 64GB.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would merely speculate that it'll be at least a couple of months because of the uber beeotch-fest that the early iPhone buyers pitched over the price cut. I think iPod updates have often been in October, so maybe then. If i had to pick a date, I'd guess January again.

I have heard stuff about 15 million iPhones being ordered by Apple this year, so that sounds to me like they're not keen on it soon.

10. Stuart in Oz thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes good sense - thanks.

Does anyone know the actual cost of the 16/32 gig chips as components?