When are we going to see FaceTime over 3g/4g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sammyman, Oct 8, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I am excited now my house will have two FaceTime able phones, but I still will never use it because we never are both in a place that has wifi at the same time. When are we going to be able to video chat when on the road or when away from a wifi signal?

Right now FaceTime is kinda a joke for most users.

2. djr7572 macrumors regular

I would tend to agree. I think Apple should've waited to introduce Face Time until a point where it wasn't reliant upon WiFi. A lot (most?) people can't take advantage of Face Time because of the reason you stated.

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

Just jailbreak your iPhone any use My3G. You will be able to use FaceTime over a 3G connection as well as downloading anything over 10mb from iTunes.

4. james92se macrumors 6502a

Huh?

It isn't an Apple problem - it's a carrier problem. Trust me, Apple could enable FaceTime over 3G in a heartbeat if they wanted to and/or had the carriers blessing.

The only way FaceTime will (and does via 3G Unrestrictor and the like) ever work over 3G is through Jailbreaking.

I was Jailbroken on my iPhone 4 and used 3G Unrestrictor with great success to FaceTime in all sorts of place - in the car, in stores, etc.

5. djr7572 macrumors regular

Didn't realize it was an issue with the carriers. Why would they put this restriction in place to begin with, and why isn't/hasn't Apple raised the BS flag on behalf of their iPhone users?

6. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think its mostly on carrier not sure when will see FaceTime over 3/4G

FaceTime over 3G eats up data fast..I used it over 3G AT&T works well here in my area I get 5/3 down/up on 3G so it holds up well..

Carriers are using data to make more money no such thing as unlimited data on iPhones anymore but sprint will offer it let's see how long they will keep it..

7. djr7572 macrumors regular

Personally, I have no interest in jailbreaking my phone. I like my phone the way it is :) Besides that, it doesn't seem like we should have to hack our phones to be able to use Face Time without restrictions. I don't think that's what Apple intended anyway ... but here we are with said restrictions :rolleyes:

8. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

9. biosci macrumors 6502a

Using the jailbroken iPhones to do FaceTime eats up lots of data.... So will ATT then accuse you of tethering and this change your data plan? (from unlimited if you have it)

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You're asking that question knowing the carriers charge and arm and a leg for anything over 3GB ?

It's all about bandwidth .

11. james92se macrumors 6502a

Well, I assume it's because the carriers didn't/don't want a gazillion people bogging down their network FaceTiming over 3G.

Though, interestingly, you would think they wouldn't mind at this point since they could "get" people on overages.

Now that I think about it though, I guess the only reason Apple SHOULD really care one way or another is that FaceTime on WiFi would generally produce the highest quality. If Apple enables it over 3G from the factory, think of all the complaints Apple might get from ignorant people blaming Apple instead of the carrier/signal strength when they have a poor 3G signal and their FaceTime quality is terrible - "But Apple claims it works over 3G and it sucks blahblahblah!"

12. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Why is that acceptable when you can get Skype (and other video chat applications) that work over 3G?

13. djr7572 macrumors regular

If Apple had any idea it would be this way, then why bother offering Face Time to begin with - if only a certain percentage of people could actually use it?

14. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

As others said you could jailbreak, but some don't like doing that. I understand it eats bandwidth, but why does it matter if we are paying for it anyways? For some reason I remember hearing that iOS 5 would enable FaceTime over 3g?? I haven't seen that option yet. Just today I was able to FaceTime my wife while she is out of town with no wifi access. I loaded 3g unrestrictor on her phone just for these circumstances, she was able to see the kids :)

I say enable it, and its the users responsibility to monitor their data if they don't have unlimited.

15. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

I hope we see it when data caps finally become abolished...

Seriously, that'll take up a TON of data...

16. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Sadly, the caps are here to stay.