When are we going to see more external Thunderbolt SSDs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

I'm surprised that almost half a year into the introduction of thunderbolt ports, there is only one (expensive!) external thunderbolt SSD available on the market:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7561ZM/A

Is there a release roadmap for when we'll be seeing more drives enter the market? It's been a pretty long wait so far!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Thunderbolt is very expensive to implement still. SSD's are expensive still. If you can afford to have these luxury items generally you have a computer that has plenty of storage so external is a moot point. Also when the embargo on TB is lifted Intel will make it more public and Dell will start selling and the price will most likely go down.

3. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

How long did it take for Firewire drives to become readily available and reasonably priced?

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I am hopeful that in 2 more years ssd & thunderbolt drives will be much more common. Apple was a very early adopter "first", of thunderbolt so hopefully when more computer companies jump on the intel thunderbolt bandwagon there will finally be the critical mass needed by the drive manufacturers.

At this point I would be very happy with a usb3/esata to thunderbolt converter, at least until straight thunderbolt device prices become more common.