When are you going to order your 27" iMac? Or are you having second thoughts...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kabir8, Feb 3, 2010.

  1. Kabir8 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    LA
    #1
    I have been reading about the yellow tint issue, flickering, HD noisiness, video card failures, etc. for the past 3 weeks now.

    I have a Power PC Dual 1.8 G5. I have had it for almost 6 years. 1 Sony 19" monitor that has been with me since day 1 (1 stuck pixel).

    Neither have ever had to have any repairs on it, never had any failure.

    I want to order the 27" iMac i7, but I also don't know if waiting for the new Mac Pros is a better idea given all the issues that have been surrounding the 27" iMac.

    I love the screen and the thought of freeing up so much space, but I also think about the lasting power of the Pro desktops.

    I want to go ahead and get the 27" because it will also be half the cost, but at the same time I'm nervous that right now is the wrong time to order.

    How long would YOU wait?
     
  2. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

    cocky jeremy

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    Location:
    Columbus, OH
    #2
    I'd wait the three weeks until fix is put in place.
     
  3. henrikrox macrumors 65816

    henrikrox

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    #3
    I have thought long and hard about getting the imac 27" with i7 the last few weeks. Been to the apple store a dozen times. The screen is beautiful. But i have decided to let the brain do its work and hold off for now.

    Main reason is because of all the faults the imacs have/are having. And because i expect to see and update to its gpu in the summer times? Since the 4850 is a supbar graphics card
     
  4. Kabir8 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    LA
    #4
    4850 seems subpar but can still handle some heavy apps and games thrown at it.

    I really need a fast enough machine to edit 1080p footage without any hiccups.
    And Dual screen is very tempting, but I also want to simplify my setup.

    You think the summer is really going to bring a GFX card upgrade? Could that happen sooner or much much later? Or not at all until the 27" quad gets an overhaul?
     
  5. henrikrox macrumors 65816

    henrikrox

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    #5
    Dont get me wrong. Radeon 4850 is a good middle end gpu, but for my needs it just wont cut it.

    Regarding the update i come the conclusion based on two things.

    1. The timeline (lets take a look)
    Rev. D: April 28, 2008 (24")
    Rev. E: March 3, 2009 (24" with gpu updates)
    Rev. F: Late 2009 (27" with i5/i7 - Current iMacs)

    Its seems imacs gets updated on a regular basis (not even a year in between revisions)

    2. The problems
    From a sales point of view. I think it would be smart of Apple to launch a new rev soon. Because of all the problems the current imacs are having. And to market the new imac as a new refurbished version.

    I know this is just estimates. But i strongly believe that Early summer, early fall is when the new revision for imacs comes out.
     
  6. Kehaan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #6
    Hey.

    I also had the same thought about waiting. But i have chosen to order a iMac 27" i7 with 8gb ram. So i ordered it 4 days ago. It should be delivered around 25th February. Remember a lot of people that is coming here, is people with problems. And not all the ones with problem free devices.

    Also lately i have seen a lot of people here which have got problem free devices. So guess Apple have fixed most of the problems. I am at least given it a chance.

    I have used Windows PC for at least 12 years. So first time Mac user here. Still I am hoping i get a problem free device. Else Apple will get a call from me :)

    From Kehaan.
     
  7. henrikrox macrumors 65816

    henrikrox

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
  8. Kehaan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #8
    Hey.

    The bad thing about getting a Mac is that if there is a upgrade 1-2 month later, you cant really upgrade it like a PC..

    But i guess the 4850 card from Radeon will be enough for me :)

    Hopefully. And hopefully they will not realease a new version, like a month later after i have brought mine.

    From Kehaan
     
  9. Btom macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    #9
    Should be two weeks by now?

    Tom B.
     
  10. GreenHead macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    #10
    If they update the iMac in June, is there anyway they would ditch the core2duo? Maybe make the i5 the base model iMac?

    Just wondering.
     
  11. Kehaan macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #11
    Hey

    Remember its only a rumor :)

    From Kehaan
     
  12. Pachang macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    #12
    Probs i3 base model imo.
     
  13. talmy macrumors 601

    talmy

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Oregon
    #13
    Yep, probably ditch the C2D for an i3 in the base model 27" and the 21.5's. So there might not be a noticeable performance boost. But they would come with iLife '10 :)

    I was nervous buying my i7 at the start of November when they started shipping. The scare then was cracked glass over the displays. My unit arrived perfect. The first Mac I bought was a 17" G5 iMac when it first came out. Those had widespread problems with bad capacitors. Let me say it's still running and in use and has never needed any repair. I wouldn't be worried about buying a 27" iMac!
     
  14. eelpout macrumors regular

    eelpout

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #14
    We should know in the next month or two about new Mac Pro's. When the new ones ship you could get one of the current Pro's at a discounted price. That's kinda my plan rather than playing iMac-roulette.
     
  15. unamused macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    #15
    im going to wait until the supposed fix date and then some....

    i just want to make sure that when i order it, i wont have to worry about screen issues
     
  16. Kabir8 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    LA
    #16
    I am really itching here.

    I feel like I can hold off for a month maybe...but right now, my monitor is running 1280x1024 as its Max resolution,
    I'm a video editor and photo editor, and while I could very well buy myself a dual screen setup for $400-$500, my performance would still be as slow as a dual 1.8ghz G5, not slow to the point that I need to change, but slow/old enough to the point that I feel I have to change for the sake of efficiency.
    I really don't know if I can make it to the summer unless an announcement is made within 4-5 weeks.

    If I wait until June, with no new announcement or release, then I go ahead and order it in June only to discover an announcement in August.
    Then I'll really be pissed, but then again could actual production of the revamped iMac 27" i7 be in full force by Q3 of 2010?
    :apple:
     

Share This Page