When available with non-ATT service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DLS, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DLS macrumors newbie

Hi All,

When does the ATT only contract (for USA users) expire? I don't remember when the iPhone came out (1 year ago, 1.5 years?). Being tied to ATT is the one reason I haven't gotten an iPhone. ATT may be ok in metro areas, but the experience of myself and others is that Verizon has as good or better sevice in metro areas (at least the Puget Sound area) and much better service in non-metro areas (Whidbey Island, Rogers' pass Montana, etc) so we stay with Verizon. Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

there will probably never be a verizon phone as it uses completely different tech than att

cdma vs gsm networks

4. symlink macrumors newbie

I think the biggest problem would be that Verizon locks down the OS on ALL their phones - and blocks native services on the phone so they can charge $10 a month for their own crappy Navigation stuff.

iPhone is better off without them. Trust me.

5. DLS thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. I don't think the technology difference between CDMA and GSM would inhibit a CDMA version iPhone. Many other vendors make CDMA and GSM variants of what is essentially the same phone. Having Verizon lock out native apps for their own revenue producing stuff may be a deal breaker, depends on how much one values the superior (in this part of the country) Verizon service enough to put up with their biz practices. I, and some others I know, put up with Verizon marketing decisions because Verizon is often the only service available outside this metro area. If ATT ever gets their regional service up to the same coverage and quality as Verizon then I'd likely switch to ATT. Time will tell.

6. robkore macrumors newbie

Not entirely true. I'm currently on my second Verizon smartphone, and the OS is as open as can be, I can install whatever I want using normal methods. If Verizon were to lock down the OS of a smartphone, they'd find that nobody would buy them.

7. symlink macrumors newbie

Which phone? And are you positive?

If its a Blackberry - try using the GPS that's built into it. They gimp out every OS that I've seen on their phones.

8. DLS thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend has one of the Blackberry World phones and Verizon service. The native Blackberry map application uses cell tower triangulation because the Big V only allows GPS to be used with it's VZNavigator service ($10/month). He was showing me the map function and cell tower triangulation put the 'current position' quite a ways away from where we actually were. I believe the native Blackberry GPS map app would have put us 'spot on'.

I like the iPhone, but I've been to (and will return to) enough places in eastern WA, ID, and MT, where Verizon was the only available service (and a nice backup to my Glock) that I will stick with them for now.

9. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

well doenst that suck :/ you have to have trade offs i guess good service vs being locked down man american cellular companies suck period.