when battery dies, iphone takes 10 min. to boot up again, HELP???

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by john2049, Feb 19, 2010.

1. john2049 macrumors member

hey,
    here is a quickie question. whenever my iphone battery dies I obviously plug it in. the bummer is, once plugged in the iphone needs to be plugged in for about 10 min, then it finally starts the boot up process again. my iphone 3g already takes about 2-3 mins to boot up (which i assume is normal) so this can be kind of an annoying process. is it normal for you phone to have to sit for 10 min just to boot back up? None of my laptops, nor old phones were ever like this....shrugs

2. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

also, it usually dies when it still has 5-10 percent of battery left....does it not wait till 0 percent? i need all the juice i can get, it ain't like this battery is a long lasting one, any help is appreciated!

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Suggest that when you get the low battery warning you plug it in rather than waiting until it dies.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

This is normal. The same thing happens to iPods.

5. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

of course, but i cant look at my phone at all times to make sure it doesn't die. if i have 20 percent battery, i should be able to not use it and let it be able to be in stand by for quite sometime. and that wasn't my question, please read my post if you have any input on whether my phone is acting normal or not. thanks

6. john2049 thread starter macrumors member

thanks spcekitty! just making sure! bummer, so weird....wonder why apple's handhelds do that. oh well, nice to know!

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I suggest you stop letting your battery die as often as it sounds that you do, or you battery life will be seriously reduced, if you don't ruin it all together. You shouldn't let it die more often than once a month.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The device won't turn on until it has sufficient charge to prevent damage to the battery.

9. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

The iPhone will not reboot itself until it is 10% charged. That's why it'll sit on the charger for 10 minutes; simply charging up to 10%. As everybody else here has recommended, don't let your phone get below 5% charge. With a lithium ion battery, it can be harmful to the battery to let it go below 5%. Lithium is a durable technology, it's just not build for letting the charge go below 5%. Hopefully you haven't done this enough already to jack up the battery.