When boot camp expires...?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vansouza, Oct 15, 2007.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

What exactly is going to happen? Does anyone know how the new OS install will affect/effect the bootcamp loader or partition? Or do we just have to wait to find out... Thanks...

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i think that it means that apple stops its support for it, so basically no more new updates to fix problems and such, but i'm not actually sure. I'm pretty sure though that it won't ruin your partition or make you unable to boot to windows as you can do this yourself without bootcamp (not sure how though:p)

All that bootcamp does is make the partition and burn a disk with all the drivers for your computer and thats all, as far as i know it has nothing to do with booting to a new drive.

3. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Thank you...

So nothing blows up... just have to pray that the new OS will not hurt the windows bits...:)

4. Neptunian macrumors member

This is what stated on Apple website:

Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expiration

The license to use Boot Camp Beta 1.2 or earlier expires on September 30, 2007 (2007-09-30). Boot Camp Assistant Beta will no longer open after expiration.

To continue using Boot Camp Beta for Microsoft Windows on your Intel-based Mac, you'll need to update to Boot Camp Beta 1.4, until Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is available.

Boot Camp Beta 1.3, 1.4 expiration

The license to use Boot Camp Beta expires when Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is available to the public. To continue using Boot Camp at that time, upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Important: Apple does not provide technical phone support for using Boot Camp Beta, burning the Macintosh Drivers CD, or installing Windows. Support is available on Apple's website. Fee-based support agreements are not available for Boot Camp Beta.

But i don't really have any idea what will actually happen. Maybe there is a pre-set expiry date on Bootcamp.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

probably just when leopard comes out, you cant dl the beta anymore

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can't open the Assistant after 1/1/08. If you want to unpartition your drive, do it before then!

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so you could be stuck with bootcamp if you dont get rid of it assuming you dont upgrade to leopard?

8. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i cant see that happening..surely assistant will be working if you have installed it ages ago and your still running on tiger os...seems daft to get rid of the assistant. bad move if they do. highly doubt it would happen. anyhow, leopard will have bootcamp on there, jus a diff vers, cant see them stopping updates either since they want new users on there, if windows dont run the way it does on pc then pc users wont come over to mac, i use it for uni work right now, works fab so far.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not guessing, I'm telling. After 1/1/08 you'll get this:

Attached Files:

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

So, if you want to wipe Boot Camp (and you will...) off your system after 1-1-08, you must set your date & time pref back to before 1-1-08?
    Strange, I would imagine Apple at least letting you get rid of expired software (like Windows :D)

11. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

So then

The new version will update the older beta version? and everything will be fine or will it have to be reinstalled along with a Win reinstall with all my win programs? :( :confused:

12. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Apple will probably release an app just for removing the windows partition.

13. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I think that you can remove the partition with disk utility anyways, not sure, i'll look at it though. Also some of you almost make it sound like you won't be able to boot into windows, this won't be the case, as the bootcamp software has nothing to do with booting into windows, your computer can do that anyways without bootcamp.

14. eXpress macrumors member

so if we are going to upgrade to leopard and currently have the boot camp beta, it will automatically upgrade boot camp and not affect our partition or anything right?

15. vansouza thread starter macrumors 68000

vansouza

Yes

I hope this is what it will do...

16. cblack macrumors newbie

New to the forum, but I came across your article and the Disk Utility will remove the partion.

Thanks,

Chris