When Buying A Refurb

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Oldmanmac, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

Do you lookout for the % reduced ones? Or, does it matter to you? In looking over the 27"ers, some had a reduction (15%), some didn't. Those that didn't says to me, full price. Why would I pay full price for a used item? Is it just me?

2. trsblader macrumors 6502

Unsure why it doesn't say a percent off, but if you actually spec'd that 27" that's $4,499 in the refurb store, it would come out to $5,299 brand new so it too is roughly 15% off. Of course you can easily beat both prices if you add ram yourself (only getting the amount you actually need) and go with a 512gb ssd and add external storage as needed. My quick guesstimate puts the iMac at $2700 + $600 for ram and a drive so roughly a $1200 savings unless you absolutely had to have 64gb of ram.

3. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

It shouldn't because it never is. You have to do the math and compare to a new one.

Many don't. I've never seen an explanation and it doesn't make sense.

Yea... that only works if it works—but sometimes it does. As a 512G is unacceptable for my needs, I begin by pricing a 2T blade... I can configure an i7 for $3,899 and buy 32G RAM at OWC for $320 (16G x 2) for a total of $4,219. I don't know if I'll wind up with 36G or 40G when done but either way, I'm good.

In this case, the refurb is too expensive for me. If one shows up with 16G RAM and the 2T blade, it will be priced less and that just might work in my favor. I've never seen a refurb w/ 8G and 2T.

Anyway, ya gotta do the math every time.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you're going to buy from the online Apple refurbished store, you'll find some configurations have a bigger "discount" than others.

My recommendation is that you should buy the configuration that will most-suit your needs, regardless of "the discount".

But I still wouldn't recommend anything larger than the 512gb SSD. Apple's prices are just too high for what you get in return -- unless you've got $$$ to toss away and don't care about the price.

I -do- care about what I'm getting for my money...

5. mikehalloran macrumors 65816

You aren't everyone.
    That's ridiculous. I think that everyone cares about their money. It's nonsense to think otherwise.

I require a 2T. Since you haven't a clue how I use it and why, you don't get to say I don't. So let's look at it:

The difference between a 512G and 2T is $1,200. You can get 2T blades (EVO 970 + a cheap adapter) pre-configured with High Sierra or Mojave for $850 on eBay. Now you have to have it installed unless you can do it yourself. Let's ballpark the labor @ $100 here in the Silicon Valley. So, you just spent $950 and voided your warranty—that saves only $250.

Yes, a DIY can find the 970 for $549 and the adapter will run $7. The tape kit will cost $21 to put it back together and you need to have an external installer drive or make one from an 8G USB. This assumes you have the tools—those don't cost much—and the patience to do a job that most will find daunting. Hells bells, if you're going to do that, find a 2015 i7 and crack it open—a 970 EVO will double the speed of a 2015. Dirty little secret: Apple upgraded the buss to PCIe3 x4 on the late 2015 but installed PCIe2 blades into them.

The $treet price on system pulls that do not require adapters is $1,000 for a 1T and $1,549 for a 2T. 1T can be found pulled from the 2015 MacBook Pros that have been upgraded to 2T. Good luck on finding a 2T.

BTW, none of the above applies to the iMac Pro. Those do not use a standard blade of any type and the NAND controller isn't part of the SSD array.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

mike wrote:
    "I require a 2T. Since you haven't a clue how I use it and why, you don't get to say I don't. So let's look at it:"

Pray tell, why do you "need" 2gb of internal SSD storage?
    (does it have anything to do with banjos?)