When buying an external battery, is it worth to pay extra to get USB-C charging capability?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Nov 1, 2017.

1. hajime macrumors 603

Hello, I am considering Anker's products. In general, is it worth to pay extra to get the USB-C charging capability? How useful it is to have such capability?

2. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

To charge a MacBook Pro? 100% required, IMO, but the current products will likely still charge your laptop slowly. For general purpose - unless you have a USB-C device already, or plan to buy one in the near future, not absolutely needed. Devices (other than the recent MBP's) that charge through USB-C can also charge when plugged into a USB-A port but do so at a reduced rate, typically.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

What do you plan to use the battery to charge? How much of a pricing premium does USB-C add?

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

My MacbookPro 2010 is aging. Don't know what and when I will buy as a replacement yet.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Are you planning on purchasing this for when you do get a replacement, or are you looking for a battery pack you can use with your 2010 MacBook Pro?

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

For the time being, it is mainly for iPhone 6s+ and perhaps also Galaxy Note PRO 12.2.
    I consider the one with USB-C just for future proof.

7. bniu macrumors 6502a

For me, absolutely USB-C. With a 12.9” iPad Pro, the charge time over usb-c is significantly faster. I consider my big iPad a usb-c device. Plus my go pro is also usb c.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

What is go pro?

9. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

Which one do you recommend?

1. Anker PowerCore+ 20100 USB-C/Type-C Ultra-High-Capacity Premium External Battery/Portable Charger/Power Bank
    (6A Output, PowerIQ & VoltageBoost) for Apple MacBook, iPhone, iPad, Samsung & more

2. Anker PowerCore II 20000, High Capacity Portable Charger with Dual USB Ports, Upgraded PowerIQ 2.0 (up to 18W Output) Power Bank, Fast Charging for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More

3. Anker PowerCore 26800 Portable Charger, 26800mAh External Battery with Dual Input Port and Double-Speed Recharging, 3 USB Ports for iPhone, iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Android and other Smart Devices

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

GoPro Camera. It's a sports action camera. Mine is based on USB-C.

11. KingZorb macrumors newbie

I bought a dual USB Anker battery when I bought my MacBook 2015. I bought a regular USB to USB-C cable, and some USB to lightning cables for it. I can charge my MacBook and my iPhone/iPad at the same time, but as others have said it doesn't charge a MacBook very quickly.

Since I just bought a special cable, I didn't need a USB-C port on my battery.

12. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

USB-A was simply not designed for the kind of power draw even a MacBook is going to pull (or want). Maximum output is ~15w, but that's not a very high amp draw (I have a Samsung charger next to me that has a 9V/1.67A output rating, Qualcomm QuickCharge can vary voltage draw). With a 12" MacBook, I would have just gone for a battery with a USB-C port on it.