When can I buy AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caitlyn, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Can I buy AppleCare for my MacBook anytime after my one year warranty expires or do I need to buy the AppleCare immediately after my stock warranty expires?

Any answers would be great as soon as possible.

Best, Caitlyn.

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I believe the general rule of thumb is to buy Applecare a month or two BEFORE your warranty expires.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

... and no later than the day your warranty expires. Applecare must be bought while your warranty is valid.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, you are quite correct. You must buy your warranty BEFORE the one year standard warranty is over. Note however, that certain states have speical provisons that might affect this. For example, in California, if your notebook has to go in for repairs, the time it takes to complete the repair (assuming it's greater than one day) is added onto your total warranty time. EG:

Purchase on 8/12/2007

Go in for repairs on 9/1/2007

Receive notebook back on 9/6/2007

Total Repair time: 5 days

Applecare expiration date: 8/17/2008.

Again, I only know this is so in California, other states and countries, you're on your own.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Hope you haven't missed your date!

And buying it isn't enough, you have to register it! The guys at the Apple Store told me that way too many people think buying is enough and they never open the box and register.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

wow, i had no idea this was true. it's pretty neat, but i'm not surprised, though. california has a law where gift certificates aren't allowed to expire. i only wish we were a cool state that didn't have sales tax. :eek:

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I didn't either, until one of those ABC 7 Michael Finney things. Turns out, a car dealer was trying to scam people out of their warranties. Good thing I saw that story:) I also first learned about the gift card deal on Michael Finney.
    As for sales tax, I wish it was lower and a flat number (5% sounds so much easier to deal with), although I wouldn't complain if it was reduced to 0%:D