Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
When can I expect a 17" powerbook for ~$2300? I can't see myself paying anything more then $2300 for a laptop so when could I expect to afford a 17" powerbook (don't care about speed or specs)?

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Make that $2500 since I can expect a $200 discount from the rutgers computer store.

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
übergeek, please explain, is that discount more then my rutgers discount (makes the powerbook 17" down to $3k currently)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
uhh, no offense, but you're looking at a VERY high-end laptop, i really doubt you'll be seeing a 17" laptop from Apple with a pricetag anywhere near there for a long time to come-- if you've only got $2,300 to spend, then go spend it on something you can afford now. if it's all you're *willing* to spend, start drooling over a different computer.

sorry...

pnw

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
Oh, you don't think apple's next revision will remove he 15" model and replace them all with the 17" PB?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Apple will stick with the 3 models. There is evidence of a 15.4" notebook but nothing has offically surfaced yet. The current 15s are 15.2". So most likely there will be a 15inch AI book at some point in time. I'm betting mid summer at the very latest. but what do i know, I'm just a dumb college kid with a powerbook

Wildcat

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2002
Eugene, OR
Originally posted by übergeek
if you become an ADC member and get one of those übercool hardware discounts.
The only way you can get the discount from the ACD store is if you have the highest membership which costs $3500.00. Or if you are a student member (cost $99.00) you can take advantage of a one time hadrware discount. The 17" Pb costs something like 2600.00 with the discount from the store. Ohh yeah to qualify for the student ACD membership you have to be over 18 so they want serious student developers.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
DavidCL23:

Oh, you don't think apple's next revision will remove he 15" model and replace them all with the 17" PB?
Hate to break the news, but bigger does not mean better. For many people the 17" screen is a drawback.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by ddtlm
DavidCL23:

Hate to break the news, but bigger does not mean better. For many people the 17" screen is a drawback.

People like ME! For me, the functionality of the laptop is diminished as it gets bigger. The 17" is so big that I would have a hard time using it on the tiny desks at my school. That's why I love the PB 12". It's my iBook with a G4, DDR RAM, AE, and Bluetooth.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
realistically

Probably when it's a couple/few years new, but you may be able to buy a stolen PB 17 for that price now (or less) -- depends how smart the crackhead is.

The other alternative is to lose that much money on an eBay fraud trying to buy one at that price.

[Edit - or wait for the new PB 15 to come out]

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by ddtlm
DavidCL23:

I just saw my first 17-inch over lunch today at the local Apple Store. Very excited, very impressive, much, much too big. I'm accustomed to my 12-inch, and this thing is just excessive. I guess it all depends on the ultimate use.

Not ALL ebay sellers are scam artists. I've sold three Macs on ebay, and I assure you that I am not a crackhead. Just be careful, and in a few months you might find one for your price - but you might not, too.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
The problem is that once the price falls by that much, you probably won't want it any more. Apple has a knack for releasing new hardware that makes the previous generation look instantly dated (except for the Cube, IMHO).

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Wildcat
The only way you can get the discount from the ACD store is if you have the highest membership which costs $3500.00...
you have to be/do either one of four things: 1. be an ADC Premier member (US$3500 a year) which comes with 10 transferable hardware discounts, 2. Be an ADC Select member for more than two or more years in a row, 3. Be an ADC Student member ($99 a year, only for college students currently enrolled who are over the age of 18) or 4. Go to WWDC and buy the e-tix that comes with a membership.
What you can do instead of becoming an ADC member (which is pretty cool but pricey :rolleyes: ) is to ask a current Premier member to transfer one of their hardware discount assets over to your (free) ADC account.
btw the hardware discount is 20% usually.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
Originally posted by paulwhannel
uhh, no offense, but you're looking at a VERY high-end laptop, i really doubt you'll be seeing a 17" laptop from Apple with a pricetag anywhere near there for a long time to come
yeah, I agree with Paul, here. If you can't afford it then just get the 12 or 15" PB.

And I was just wondering, what is this doing in the software section?

DavidCL23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2001
NJ
I would be eligable for the adc discount then, right? I am 19 and goto rutgers university. My major is econ, not computer science, would that be a problem? Also is there tax if I am a student? Also why is it $3k in the rutgers store and only $2700 through adc (added the $99 membership price into the cost)? One last question (i promise, lol) what other privlages do I get if I am an ADC student member and is there a place on apple's website that shows me the exact price for the laptop through ADC before joining?
Thanks.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by DavidCL23
I would be eligable for the adc discount then, right? I am 19 and goto rutgers university. My major is econ, not computer science, would that be a problem? Also is there tax if I am a student? Also why is it $3k in the rutgers store and only $2700 through adc (added the $99 membership price into the cost)? One last question (i promise, lol) what other privlages do I get if I am an ADC student member and is there a place on apple's website that shows me the exact price for the laptop through ADC before joining?
Thanks.
wow you sure have a lot to say :D
there is tax, doesn't matter who you are :D, ADC is Apple's thing and developer discounts are better than edu discounts. There are other privileges i believe, such as being eligible to go to WWDC and other stuff, there is a place on Apple's website...
more info on student memberships: http://developer.apple.com/students/
more info on hardware discount: http://developer.apple.com/membership/usa.html
the ADC's website is http://developer.apple.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.