When can we expect a 4S jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by docgerrard, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Miao Ying macrumors member

Speculating with how long it took to jailbreak the iPad 2, it might take a while. I always noticed jailbreaks being mainly exclusive to the older iOS devices but almost never for the iPad2 itself beyond firmware version 4.3.3 using jailbreakme.com. After that if you were unlucky not to have the shsh blobs saved that was the only chance you had before the next firmware updates plugged the hole allowing the jailbreak. I compare this against the iPhone 4S because the main thing that stopped jailbreaks for the iPad2 was the change over to the A5 chip, which both devices now share. Also doesn't that Comex guy work at Apple now? Hm..

Edit: I am aware that jailbreaks do exist for the current iOS5 but from what I'm seeing, they are tethered and to further emphasize.. don't work on the iPad2 either.

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

There is already a tethered jailbreak available from redsn0w

3. lewys macrumors 6502

lewys

does it work on the 4s?

4. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

nope tethered jailbreak only works on the ipod touch 4, 3, iphone 4, and 3gs. the 4s jailbreak shouldn't take too long as a team found some exploits in the a5 chip in the ipad2. i give it 2 months around

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Same time as we achieve lightspeed traveling, it could be tomorrow, in a week, in a month...or no in your lifetime, Button line is nobody really knows, some people are working on it, but this is not a exact science where you can actually estimate a completion time. whatever you read a this point is not more than 10000% speculations.

now, let's take a wild guess at it, based on feedback form developers and based on previews release, i'll say it will be about 5 to 8 weeks before we seen something untethered and stable.

6. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

7. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure what you mean by hardware JB, iPhone hardware isn't really locked. JB are software based to get root access our of the CHROOT jail.

(you may be confusing with unlocking which is possible to do using hardware)

8. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

I was kidding because OP is asking for a 4S jailbreak vs asking for an ios5 JB

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Hi,

There already is an A5 jailbreak exploit(s). They have been testing them on the iPad 2, which uses the same CPU as the 4S. As soon as they get a 4S, they will test it and release it ... but they need the untethered component too.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

Nobody really knows! However I predict it will be asked 1,000,000 times! :rolleyes:

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Id say not for a while. The A5 has proved especially difficult to jailbreak, just look how long it too to jailbreak the iPad 2.

12. bkushner macrumors regular

apparently they have found 5 userland exploits

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

however they are not sure yet which will work on the 4S. We know the Ipad 2 with the A5 chip has been a challenge the 4S uses the same chip.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yes they are. The A5 in the 4S is no different than that of the iPad 2, it's just under clocked. If the exploits work on the A5 in the iPad 2, then it will work on the 4S. They have had plenty of time using iOS betas (since June) and the iPad 2 before then, so technically, they could have the iOS 5 untethered well underway. They are probably just waiting to test on a 4S for final confirmation