When can we expect and upgrade and will it be a major one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Memmen, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Memmen macrumors newbie

I'm sitting here with my 13" early 2011 macbook pro which was the first macbook I bought just 1.5 year ago. I bought it mainly to use with logic pro, the music program, since it dont run on PC.

Now I've come to a point where my productions just cant be done smoothly because of the cpu. I'm getting "cpu overload" errors all the time and most of the time I can only start my track for a brief second before the error pops up and I need to click it down and try to start the track again.

This makes it horribly difficult to mixdown my track and what I've been doing so far is to make small adjustments and exporting as mp3 all the time but it is so time consuming and it really takes away the joy of making music for me.

So I've been thinking about getting the newest 15" (the cheaper version) mabcook pro and upgrade to 8gb ram and ssd (can believe apple is shipping with 4gb in such a expensive computer.. shame..)

However, even if I can afford it, its a LOT of money for me and I was thinking to maybe wait until next upgrade of the macbook pro, u think it will be soon? will it be major?

I would love to have a great hackintosh laptop, I mean, to be honest, mac computers are ridiculously overpriced and specification wise I can get the same PC laptop as this macbook for maybe 60% of the prise or less..And this laptop would have more usb ports, more ram, better graphics card.. yeah u know what I'm talking about.

What do you guys think? Should I buy it? I really dont have any choice to go back to PC because logic only runs on mac, but I would be very frustrated if I bought a super expensive macbook now and in 1.5 month there is a upgrade..

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I imagine sometime next summer Apple will release an updated rMBP. They may update the classic MBP line, or it may get discontinued. I seriously doubt Apple is going to update any of their portables soon, they've all been updated recently.

If you want to buy a PC, go for it.

3. Memmen thread starter macrumors newbie

well I dont really know why I started the PC vs mac thing because I need osx to run logic.. it just all feels so weird I use to upgrade my PC after 4 years and now I need to upgrade my mac just after 1.5 years.. feels like I'm being robbed :p

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

There won't be an "upgrade" until Intel's next generation of chips comes out - Haswell. That's expected in the first half of next year. So you'd be safe with one now.

Based on what you wrote, look for a refurbished 15" MBP and upgrade the RAM on your own - much cheaper. Quad core will help if you're running out of CPU cycles - the newer 13" models are faster, but still dual-core.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Something else may be going on here. I didn't think audio mixing was all that CPU intensive. You really shouldn't have a problem running Logic on a dual core i5/i7. Maybe I'm wrong?

6. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Are you running Logic on CoreAudio? Get a dedicated audio interface, that'll be cheaper than changing your whole Mac.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

I can run logic back to my 2010 MBP. As said above you need a better interface

8. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

9. Memmen thread starter macrumors newbie

My buffer size is always the highest, I've reduced the undo steps and freezing tracks is the last solution that I have to do some times but it never works out perfect since freezing tracks takes time and all the effects and routing to the channel doesn't always export to the freezed "instance" of the channel. For example sidechain compression doesnt always work for me when freezing tracks.

I use an apogee duet 2 audio interface which is a really great quality audio interface so there should be no problem.

Right now I'm using about 30 channels. Making edm music so it's all in the box.
    I don't think I would ever have problem making pop music or something where there are only a few channels working...