When can we expect the 12" MBA to be released?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saintforlife, Jun 5, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

When does Apple typically launch Mac hardware? The fall seems to be already crowded with the iPhone 6, the updated iPads and quite possibly the iWatch. So is there even room to release the 12" MBA in the middle of all this? I am getting ready to upgrade from my 2010 MBA and am holding off until the new one is released. I am ready for a new design and hopefully the 12" won't disappoint. BTW, how reliable are the rumors that the 12" MBA will actually be a redesign and could have touch screen?

2. zabbadoo Guest

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Don't forget MacBook Pros, iMacs, and the Mac Mini :). Based on the Broadwell release, it should be around September-October. Apple has been experimenting with a 12" retina display for a while. I would be surprised if Apple waited any longer to refresh the 1440x900 display. The rumors are not baseless, but like any rumor, they aren't guaranteed.

Matt

4. walkthruwalls macrumors member

walkthruwalls

Its all guesstimate and we can only use the timeline of the Y series chips of Broadwell. So earliest might be this fall. Then again there are no guarantees since there are other things to consider in releasing a new product. So maybe we'll see it this year or perhaps first or second quarter of 2015. It's always good to be conservative in waiting for Apple products unless you love having dashed hopes. Case in point, people who thought we'd see hardware in WWDC.

5. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Probably will be released in September-October (I believe it will be October) on a Mac dedicated event.

6. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

I've heard that it is no longer 12", but either 11.50" or 12.50".

Bummer.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I haven't seen any credible reports that it will have a touchscreen. Have you seen the MacRumors roundup here?

http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-air/

8. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why do you say that? I thought it was supposed to be 11.88" with the same ppi as the iPad Air (screen cut from the same panel) and marketed as a 12" model.

9. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 6502a

Broadwell chips confirmed for the 12" MBA?

Are the Intel Broadwell chips confirmed for the 12" MBA? If so, what is the timeline for Broadwell release?

10. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

In theory it could replace 11inch model, as the new chassis shouldn't be (noticeably) bigger.
    But I certainly doesn't see how it could replace the 13" inch model without unhappy faces on consumers. And getting rid of physical trackpad alone is already a borderline move.

11. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Broadwell is in no way confirmed for the MBA. The only way there will not be a Broadwell MBA is if either they skip Broadwell entirely, or they release an A-series MBA. Both of those scenarios are less likely than a Broadwell MBA, so we can assume there will be one.

The timeline for Broadwell is Q3/Q4. It was originally Q4, but they managed to push it into Q3. We should most likely see Broadwell MBAs in the fall.

Matt

12. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Anything between those two sizes can be considered 12".

----------

I think that the real question is whether it will 16x9 or 16x10, I am hoping for the later. That increase in vertical height should make it a 12".

----------

Don't dismiss the 12" retina as being ARM based.

13. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

No.

Not at all.

14. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I really hope the MBA never has a touchscreen. What's the point of an iPad if Apple gives their entry level laptop a touch interface as well as a keyboard?

15. akatsuki macrumors regular

I'd love a touchscreen version with fold back keyboard, but I don't expect it to happen at all.

However, I am desperately waiting for the retina MBA, so they can release it anytime now!

16. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I am wavering on the fence on whether to go ahead and buy an MBA 11" while BB has them on sale. But would really rather have a 12" MBA if one is possible say this fall. The problem though is the cost. Wouldn't you say it is safe to say a MBA 12" retina would probably be significantly more than the current MBA 11"? Any guesses on cost?

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would be surprised if it came in under a thousand but I could be wrong. It seems someone mentioned it may be cheaper than current models (899 and up).

Part of me wanted to wait but I went ahead and picked one up on the Best Buy deal. The way Macs hold their resale value, I can still sell this one and recoup most of my money if I decide the retina is worth switching to.

If I were you, I'd go ahead and pick one up and start enjoying it now. After all, nothing has been announced by Apple so we may not even see a retina MBA until 2015.

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Honestly I could see it pushed all the way into December, considering the Broadwell delays. I'm hoping for October, though.