When can we Pre-order the 2018 MBP Touch Bar

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 13, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Apple released a 2017 version of the MBP Touchbar in late 2016. It's now 2017 and no one likes to refer to their 4 month old laptop as last years 2016 Model. Besides Apple needs to give these buyers value. Apple will likely not release any Updated MBP Touch Bar until very late in 2017 and call it the 2018 Version. Car companies do this all the time. You can always buy a 2017 model year car in late 2016. And Apple is adopting this strategy.

The 2016 MBP Touch Bar has been a disaster. In so many way.

- can you Stream 4K HDR movies No
    - do we get modern DDR4 RAM No
    - can it decode 10-bit HEVC No (only 7th Generation Intel chips can)
    - basic functionality requires $50+ in extra Dongles

I just feel bad for everyone who was Duped into buying a 2013 featured Laptop at 2016 prices.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Hilarious! Good thing I have a UHD Blu-ray player for streaming 4K HDR video--hard to imagine why anyone would try to watch it on a 15" screen.

Also hard to figure why some people are so impressed by DDR4 RAM, or could confuse 2013 with 2016. Takes all kinds, I guess.

3. medulla macrumors regular

I was waiting for you to come in, how sad you have to go through this EVERYDAY! lol

4. alFR macrumors 68020

Stop spreading FUD.
    This is a limitation imposed by Netflix, who only allow this via the Microsoft Edge browser (as I suspect you well know).
    This has been done to death on here already, the Skylake chipsets don't support LPDDR4.
    Any MBP with a discrete GPU can do this.
    Funny, i thought the keyboard, trackpad and screen were all built in.
    Show me a 2013 laptop with equivalent size, weight, features and benchmark scores. Go on, I'll wait. Actually, no, I'll save us all some time: there isn't one, because thunderbolt 3 didn't exist then.

Is the 2016 MBP perfect? No. Is it the total train wreck you describe? No. The sales figures bear that out.

5. medulla macrumors regular

As everyone has constantly over and over said, the 2016 MBP is probably perfect and more than enough for more than 90% of people.

6. thesaint024, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. These are exactly the things we look for in a "non-disastrous" computer. Moving on...

On a completely unrelated topic (because name calling is a suspendible offense), I wish there was a thumbs down option for really bad and blatant troll threads.