When can we start using iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Jun 7, 2011.

1. bobright macrumors 601

also another thing can you store music that was non-purchased via itunes on there? i doubt it but thought id ask

2. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

This fall

And yes, read every piece written, your own music, non itunes will be uploaded as well

4. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks guys and free but a 5GB limit? it just seems too good to be true

and well I havent seen the keynote from yesterday so dont know much cant find it on itunes either :(

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

Non-iTunes will be matched only if you pay the $25/year for iTunes Match.

The 5GB limit is for everything but photos and music.

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Well theres the catch

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's a minuscule catch that is cool, but doesn't stop you from using iCloud.

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

5GB is an awful lot of contacts and calendar data.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Indeed, I know this, just want to dumb it down since the OP can turn to any tech site and get the info...

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

It includes email.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

12. rworne macrumors 6502

Yes, but this just means the songs will be scanned and replaced on the cloud with "better" versons to stream. Aside from streaming, there's no access tothe tracks.

I also wonder what Apple does with the data it collects from people's music collections. If someone with 30+GB of ripped songs tries to get them on the cloud, does this mean BSA style audits of music collections? I'm sure the RIAA would love to know what people have in their MP3 libraries.

13. aberrero macrumors 6502a

To give you guys an idea, it uses about 3gb for a reasonably filled iPad.

There is an option to buy more storage, but it is broken right now.

It syncs all app data, and you can tell it to not to for individual apps. So like if you have video files you can choose not to sync those.

14. Carouser macrumors 65816

What? It doesn't 'just mean' anything. It puts the tracks on your device. Why would you need any other form of access? You already own the files before you can get them from the cloud anyway.

15. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I don't think it actually puts the tracks on your device. If it did, most music junkies would have their devices filled pretty quick. My understanding is that you're paying to add all of your non-iTunes tracks to the "purchased" section of the iTunes app so you can then download any of your songs at anytime. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

16. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I think you're right. This isn't streaming, like people are claiming. It's just downloading. Want to have more music available right away or when you're away from WiFi? Then buy a device with more storage. Running low on space? Then delete some of your music. You will be able to re-download is via the "purchased" section later.

17. rworne macrumors 6502

Oh, for $25 I'd be able to upgrade all my rips to higher bitrate versions?

That's a bargain if I upload everything to the cloud then download the better versions. Then I can discontinue service and not have to spend weeks ripping CD's again.

That sounds user-friendly and nice, but I just cannot see that happening. What I see happening is it scans your tracks, replaces the the ones they have with high-bitrate streaming versions, and you have access to those as long as you pay the monthly subscription.

Then what happens to the original file? On the cloud, it'd be gone. So unless a backup is available, you are locked into the service unless you want to "obtain" the track again. This is a PITA for multi-GB music collections.

Now that sounds like a model they would implement.

18. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Why is that the response? Didnt say you were dumb, said i was dumbing it down and pointing out how everyone has the info you need with some reading. How's that rude?

GL :)

19. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I have feeling you're misunderstanding what iTunes in the Cloud is. For one, there's no monthly fee like you said. It's a once a year fee for less than 25 bucks. Secondly, you won't be uploading much at all if anything. iTunes Match will scan your iTunes library and then take all of your songs (up to 25,000) and add them to the purchased section of iTunes on your devices. You'll then be able to download any of your songs to any iOS device(for free). The songs iTunes will provide will be a 256kbps rip so they may or may not be better than your original MP3s.

As for the original files, they aren't going anywhere, nor do they change at all. They will still be on the machine that you put them on. All iTunes in the Cloud is about, it making all of your songs, iTunes or not, available to you at anytime.