when can we unlock iphone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darwing, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Darwing macrumors 6502

I live on the border in canada across from detroit, when it comes out in the states, i want to go across the border and buy one without contract... but when do you think we will be able to unlock it?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

Soon in June that's all we know sorry. Btw I live near Detroit!

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I wouldn't assume that. Took a couple months to unlock the 3GS.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What makes you think they will sell it without contract during launch?
    About the unlock they already have it but not releasing it till after 4.0

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

MuscleNerd tweet about a day ago this good enough for me! of course the iPhone 4 might throw in a hickup. but 4.0 gold already jb! :D

People still ask, but sure, with both 4.0 & iPhoneHD coming out this month, so too will the 3.1.3/4.0 carrier unlocks
    about 1 hour ago via Twittelator

6. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Because there are Non-contract prices for them and that would be an easy sale for them anyway. What makes you think they won't?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didn't think they sold them noncontract yet.
    Only with 2 year agreements.
    Let me double check that but the 3GS wasn't sold without a contract until 10 months after it's release.

8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

I'm confused about this tweet...

Isn't the unlock completely dependent on the baseband and the hardware? Aren't there going to be updates to the software/hardware that could interfere with the unlock working on iPhone 4?

Not to clear on now this works..someone should try to tweet at one of the Devs and ask their best prediction on whether or not their current unreleased exploit will allow for an unlock.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well that is the 1st time Musclenerd has been so bold that I know of. the fact he is so confident shows allot of promise. but I do agree I wouldn't be surprised if iPhone 4 turns out to be a little tougher. but 4.0 already looks very good. time will tell.

10. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Now don't quote me on this, but the exploit that the Dev-Team uses is hardware based. It may take a while to find a hole to inject the unlock program. According to a previous tweet from Musclenerd, the exploit that the Dev-Team currently uses remains while the baseband chip can change. They are pretty confident that the iPhone 4 will be unlockable.