When can you buy ProCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wfj5444, Jul 20, 2010.

1. wfj5444 macrumors 6502

Can I buy ProCare for a Mac that I already own that is still under AppleCare?

My wife's computer has seemingly a harddrive issue (2nd time) and she can't be without her computer for 3-5 days. It takes that long to work through the queue on their repairs, and the machine can't be put in the queue unless its sitting in their back room. They at least reserved the part for me :)

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If I'm not mistaken, a recent change to their policy only makes it available with the purchase of a new system.

3. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was wondering about that (I know that is true for One to One). Nothing on their site says that is the case. I can't find anything in the agreement or the website that says when it can be purchased, I am just assuming it has to be under AppleCare.

4. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

The business partner at my local Apple Store said they didn't have any more of the cards in stock, but he is going to FedEx one from another store.

It will be there waiting on me tomorrow.

This is why I like Apple. The folks want to help. Not all, but the high majority. They care to try to please the customer.

You can sign up at any time. Since it isn't warranty service, there isn't a restriction. If you didn't have AppleCare, any repairs would come out of your pocket, but you still get to the front of the line.

5. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

6. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you depend on your Macs like we do, it is invaluable.

http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/

Costs $99 for up to 3 Macs per year:

Complete Set-up
    Buy a Mac at an Apple Retail Store, and we’ll transfer your mail, calendar, address book, photos, music, movies, and other files from your old computer (PC or Mac) to your new Mac. We’ll also install any additional software, too. Turn on your Mac, and you’re ready to go.

Rapid Repairs
    You rely on your Mac and need it in top working order. So if you ever bring it in for repair, you’ll want it back right away. As a ProCare member you get, “Next in Line, First on the Bench” service on all in-store repairs.

Advanced Reservations
    Schedule appointments for technical support at the Genius Bar up to 14 days in advance. Since only ProCare members get access to every available time slot, it’s easy to get a time that works for you.

Yearly Tune Up
    Bring in your Mac and we’ll run system diagnostics, update your Apple software, even clean your monitor and keyboard. That’s pretty much everything needed to make sure your Mac is in pristine condition, and it’s available to ProCare members at no additional cost.

Fast Track
    If you have a quick technical question or need to drop off a repair, just flash your ProCare card. You’ll skip right to the head of the line at the Genius Bar — and we’ll take care of the rest.

Backup Consultation
    When you’re a ProCare member, you’ll get the help you need to protect all your files. Our Geniuses will find the right solution to keep your Mac up and running with consistent, reliable backups.

7. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Most of that you can do for free. THe only things would be getting the repairs first.

8. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

Right but there are two things you can't:

- you can't get helped first (no reservation) any time you go (might get lucky)

- you can get same day or next day repair.

My store is 3-5 days to repair if they have the part. Probably the same if they don't. My sanity and my wife's time are well worth $99 a year.

If I can afford 2, $2000 computers, I can afford $99 a year. I can't see why people don't see the value here. Just 1 repair a year is worth the cost in my time. More like 5 x the cost in my time.

9. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

That is because you can afford 2, $2000 computers. I struggled to even purchase the base 13"

10. wfj5444 thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely!

It is only worth it if you need your machines ASAP.