When can you sell a rebate iPod Touch and Printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by laserbeam273, Mar 12, 2011.

1. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

Hi, looking at upgrading my 2.4 GHz 2008 MBP, either getting a new MBP or replacing my set up with a cheap MB with good battery life and an iMac as my processor-intensive work (gaming and hopefully soon 1080 HD video editing as a hobby).

I noticed that as a student, not only do I get a discount on the price, but I basically get an iPod touch and a printer for free (sounds like the latter always comes free if you choose it). So that's AUD 289 + 129.95 = AUD 418.95 of value - pretty awesome! The thing is, I don't need either. I got a working ipod classic with roughly a 67 GB library, so the iPod touch doesn't interest me much. As for the printer, well, we already got one, and it does a whole lot more than the base level printer.

So since I have no real use for either, I'd basically want to sell them off as soon as possible. However I noticed that Apple says the rebate offer isn't available for resellers. Does anybody know at what point you can sell off a rebate item? Do you think Apple allows you to sell it off unopened, or would you have to wait till you have opened and used it, or are they actually saying that you can never sell it, ever?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can sell it whenever you want. Resellers means stores, so they cannot buy 1000 MBPs with free iPods and then sell everything at full price.

3. laserbeam273 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweet! I imagine people could really abuse that though. Buy the 13" MBP with the two rebates, then sell it all. I'm sure you'd get more than your original purchase.

4. brucem91 macrumors 6502

only to an extent. The iPod promotion I believe is in the end of the summer, and it only applies to College Students. You are also limited to how many edu discounted computers you get a year.

5. laserbeam273 thread starter macrumors 6502

And I suppose if you were doing what I was describing you'd be an actual "reseller" rather than an end-user.