When computer dies - goes into safe sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djasmooth, Aug 20, 2009.

1. djasmooth macrumors member

Hello,

I posted something up a little while ago.. Just got this Refurb MBP 15.4" 2.66Ghz 320GB HD 9600 512MB

And when my computer dies (0%) it doesn't go into regular sleep, so when I plug it back in I can't just hit the spacebar..

I don't like this and want to be able to turn this off..? Can someone help me?

2. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

When your mac goes to sleep, it feeds a small amount of current from the battery to the RAM chips so the contents persist. This is sleep mode.

When you drain the battery, there's no current left to maintain the contents of the RAM. With no power, the RAM can't hold any information.

So before this happens, your mac writes the contents of your RAM to the hard disk, where they can persist without drawing any current. This is safe sleep mode.

When you bring it out of safe sleep, your mac writes the (large! GB's!) amount of information from the hard-drive back into RAM. This takes a few seconds, hence the delay when compared against regular sleep mode.

The fact your computer does this is pretty cool!
    I've seen people moan about some weird things, but this takes the biscuit! You're complaining about a feature not a bug!

3. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

Cool, I'm really not sure what's going on now but, when my computer first started to die, it went into safe sleep and now it just powers off, and I just got this refurb..

I tried doing some of commands in the terminal, I don't believe it worked anyway because the same hibernatemode number comes up which is 0..

What should I do?

4. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

Like I was saying, the number that comes up is 0..

0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.

This doesn't happen.. The reason why I don't like it going to safe sleep is because I dj, and if I am doing a mix, gigging or etc an my laptop dies and goes into safe sleep, it takes way to long to power up

Anyway the issue now is that it just dies..

5. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

6. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

To clarify:

Mode 3 will use regular (fast) sleep, until such time as your battery gets too low, in which case it uses safe sleep.

If you're trying to find a way to have regular sleep mode when you're battery is at 0%, it's not going to happen. It's simple physics - no electrical current for the RAM, no 'fast' sleep.

7. djasmooth thread starter macrumors member

So why was it possible to do fast sleep on the 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa MBP and my PowerBook G4?

8. danbt79 macrumors member

danbt79

Are you telling me your Powerbook could maintain 'fast sleep' with a drained battery?
    If you think it's possible then we must be talking about different things! :D