Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohsnap

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I'm curious what resolution others use when converting videos for use on your iPad. Do you usually let you video stay at it's native resolution or do you format it so it uses the full screen in landscape mode? I always convert my movies and tv shows to 512x384. It never seems squished when even though you are changing from 16:9, 1.33:1, or 2.34:1 to 4:3. Also, if you convert it to a full 1024x768 the file (assuming a 90 minute movie) will usually come out to between 3 and 5 gigs for an 800mg AVI file as opposed to 600mg-1.2gb depending on the source and quality settings.

And what app do you usually use? On the Mac, I find myself using VisualHub even though it hasn't been developed since 2007. Then iFFMpeg and last MKVTools. Very rarely HandBrake unless I'm ripping a DVD which I almost never do. Also I've found that MKVTools and HandBrake make it very difficult for you to set your preferred resolution.

Last edited:

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Handbrake has an iPad preset. Try using that.

As for speed, cannot comment on Mac conversion speed. My win 7 i7 pc, with 16gb ram converts a typical 1 hour tv episode in about 6 minutes.

With handbrake, 400mb file typically converts into 260mb. This is with using an iPad preset.

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
I keep the picture dimensions at the original unless the original is 1080p or I need a small version for the iPhone. Obviously you would never increase the dimensions from the original. There's also little point in changing the aspect ratio as the iPad can always zoom in to fill the screen if that's what you prefer.

There is no reason to use anything other than Handbrake if you have to convert video -- it does everything that is sensible to do. If the underlying video is compatible with the iPad then you can use MKVTools/MP4Tools or iFlicks to repackage it into an MP4/MKV.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Also I've found that MKVTools and HandBrake make it very difficult for you to set your preferred resolution.

MKVtools is really just meant for remuxing, and quick-and-simple converting jobs, nothing advanced.

On Handbrake it's extremely easy.
  • On windows it's on the video tab (it's the default tab, after all).
  • On OS X, just click 'Picture Settings'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.