When creating or editing file/folder names, all the letters 'smoosh' onto each other

Discussion in 'macOS' started by weeag, Jun 17, 2007.

1. weeag macrumors regular

Ok, this is reeeeealy annoying. It just started happening within the last few days. Just like the title says... when I edit or create a folder/file name all the letters stack on top of each other. I can't read a thing and have no idea what I am editing. To edit I have to delete the entire name and retype it and hope I spell it right since I can't see what I'm doing.

There are no problems creating or editing folders in other programs, just with OS X...

Any thoughts?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you using Finder for this? I'm not sure I fully understand what's happening. Sorry for being slow, but would you mind posting a screenshot? :)

3. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the response... yes it only happens in finder (at least that I can tell).

Here's a screen cap of it:

[​IMG]

4. drumpat01 macrumors 6502

drumpat01

that is the strangest thing. May sound stupid but did you try to restart the Finder? Cmd+opt+esc and then chose to force quit the Finder. If that doesn't/didn't work...um...i guess you could always reinstall Tiger. There is an option to just replace the system files so you wont lose any docs or pictures or files. It works really well. Ive done it twice.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, have you tried restarting? Do you have any theme changers installed? Have you installed/changed or removed any fonts recently? If you create a new user account, does it occur there too? :)

6. weeag thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, well wudyaknow - restarting Finder did it! Usually a reboot is the first thing I try but have a lot of stuff I've been working on and wasn't really in the position to reboot. But, restarting Finder fixed it.

Thanks a ton!

happy wee!